Thread: How to splice together a movie from different media sources?

Default How to splice together a movie from different media sources?

Hello to all. My question is so basic I didn't see a thread.

I have downloaded the trial version of Vegas 11. My video editing experience is basically nil.

The question: How do I cut and splice together different movies? I have used NCH's Video Pad and it was easy to select and drag a slice to the time line but that was with one movie.

The movies are mp4 taken in 720P with a GoPro camera. I have fiddled with this program for a couple of days and can't figure out how to get going.

I just want to go back and forth picking time segments from the different GoPro movies and stack them one behind the other to create a short movie of an outdoor event. I'll work on transitions once I get the video built. That's another leaning curve.

I need step by step instructions like in a manual for assembling a bicycle.

Perhaps another video editor with a less steep learning curve? This program seems to assume you bring editing skills to the table.

Thanks

Just drag the clips onto the timeline , if there any errors then those clips are not compatible with MS11

I drag the clip to the timeline and select a section then what? There are several clips staged in the media area. I want the movie to begin with the 30 to 40 section of clip 1 then the 30 to 41 sec section of #2, the 46 to 1:32 of #1 and so forth. Jumping from one clip to another as I piece things together.

At the beginning after dragging clip 1 to the timeline I entered the beginning and ending desired for that clip in the status area for the timeline. Strike enter and that section gets bracketed. So far so good. When I drag the next clip behind clip one and do the same thing the brackets jump to the second movie.

If I stack the movies on different timelines I see a mixture of the two in the preview area which is confusing.

Default No experience....?

If you've used NCH VP you've done some of the Basics. I use Vegas Platinum 10 production suite, but presume the changes to 11 are probably cosmetic titivating. (Can you say?)
    There should be a selection of "How to" windows . .. unfortunately they're rather small, but they force you to USE the software...it's not just watching the Mystro glide his hands over the keyboard (as Tutorials often are).

I think you're going to have to be more specific in yr Q. Are you unable to get any media into the trial prog, or is it you are mixing sources from two camcorders, with different files but you can get both sources into the project-box (on the Left)...?

As I unerstand Vegas 10 Platinum was trumpeted to be able to work with both SD and HD footage in the same Edit. Presumably the SD would have its pixels stretched....but.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for being a rock here.

The video clips are HD mp4 from a GoPro camera. They were copied to My Video in XP and from there to the imported media area for Vegas 11. The clips import without issue.

The clips load and play just fine from the media area. Some jerkiness but that is my computer. I tried the shift-v trick to smooth playback but that did not work for Vegas 11.

As I recall in Video Pad I worked with only one movie and did the editing where the preview is for Vegas. Cutting and dragging sections to the timeline.

In Vegas 11 the preview allows no editing just viewing. I drag the first movie from the media area to the timeline and select a section I desire to be the start of the project movie - in this case the 30 to 40 second section. Then I am stuck. How do I save this section and move on? If I drag the next clip from the project area and place it after the first Vegas makes the second movie sequential to the first and adds the times. That is the beginning of the second movie is not longer at 0 seconds but is 0 + the length of the first clip. So . . . if I want to grab the 30 to 42 seconds section of the second I would have to add the total length of the first plus 30 seconds of the second. This is doable but adds complications as more clips are dragged to the timeline.

I want the 30 to 40 seconds section of clip one to start the project movie. Then add the 30 to 42 seconds of another clip, and so forth jumping around between four different clips in the media area. I'll figure out how to do transitions later. The scenes are from a racetrack so sudden transitions are fine.

Thanks

I've figured it out. Using the split and delete I've spliced four piece together.

Thanks vidmanners, the Show Me How was very helpful. Just had to find the right subtopic.

Odd how the mind works. Trying to understand this over the weekend was fruitless. I worked last night. After a 12 hour night and two hours of driving the light of understanding ingnited.

Thanks again. Now on to transitions and more.