Thread: A scene from a feature I'm producing

Default A scene from a feature I'm producing

A scene from a comedy thriller that I'm producing over the summer months...The next scene has lots of blood and gore...Great Fun!!!
    http://www.soundzshop.com
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

http://www.soundclick.com/solway

Blog Entries

Good to hear from you Solway. Did you put the cast together? Well done to whoecver did. I'm struggling to get anyone interested in a four-hander despite having circulated a dozen or so local drama groups(and this is before they've seen the script so it's not that' that's putting them off).

I thought it looked pretty good in terms of image quality. A few issues with lighting, but who is well lit in a hotel/club bar? I thought the actors did a good job.

I had two problemsL: the first is obvious and might be a result of the upload/edit rather than present in the original (at least i hope so) - much of the sound was clipping badly.

The second is one of geography. You're giving a variety of angles on different people and it's not clear where people are in relation to one another. As they are having a dicussion in which they all interact it is even more important to establish this than if they are having separate conversations. For example, I like the use of the flyer at 0:29 as a link between the first conversation and the second, but when we cut to the guy in the white polo, we're a bit thrown as to where we are. Scrutinising the film I can see the guy in the blue check shirt in an earlier shot, but that's the only clue we've been given. It might not be so important but we see Walter butt into the conversation. If the first shot of the guy in the white had been towards the bar, we'd have been in no doubt as to the relative positions.
    Then there's something a bit wierd going on with the shots at 1:22 and 1:26. In the former the bar looks deserted (in fact I though t was a different room) yet in the latter, Walter and White Polo man are in the frame. This is clearly due to different positions of the camera either sideof the close-up of the door opening, but it didn't seem quite right.

These are things which you as an edit will not necessarily notice as you are over familiar with the geography.

I thought the sequence when Chiswick starts talking was very well put together, the shots seemed to flow nicely from one to the other.

But the main thing is the plot has me interested. So I'm looking forward to seeing more of this...
    Tim

Hello Tim,
    Glad to see you're still keeping the DD homefires burning.
    I find it really easy to get good actors, I simply offer them 100.00 per day and when pay time comes around I tell them I was only joking and can't afford it. Usually it only work once though.

Seriously, I have spent at least 50% of production going to plays and theatre productions scouting for and persuading the talent to get involved with this project. I've had to travel to three towns to achieve this. (Carlisle-Penrith & Keswick). As expected it's been a logistical nightmare and its nowhere near finished yet.

Thanks for casting an eye over it as your comments good or bad are very welcome.
    The Youtube upload has clipped the audio in places which is not really a problem as the master file is safe and well modulated.

The lighting may not be technically correct but I am happy with it having spent quite sometime getting a look that I like.

I understand where you are coming from regarding the geography of the people. Showing scene one first will clear this as it has several establishing shots which will sit comfortably (hopefully) with this scene.

The shot 1.42 where he places his hand on the shoulder, and the camera then jumps to another angle (Passing the magic line) is not technically correct as it leaves disorientation but it works for me as I'm trying to achieve a sinister slightly disorientated atmosphere to the scene.

Our Mr Chiswick ends up being tortured with his feet being nailed to the floor (by way of payment for his dastardly deeds) before the barn he is tyed up in is set on fire....Great fun as you will appreciate

Two more days filming in early July should see the first story completed and we I move onto the next which is a young girl dependent of drugs and having to resort to prostitution for survival.

I think Tims covered most points. I had one thought I didn't see any one drinking a pint ! It seemed odd that the Farmer types would be drinking shorts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    I find it really easy to get good actors, I simply offer them 100.00 per day and when pay time comes around I tell them I was only joking and can't afford it. Usually it only work once though.

Thanks for the insight into casting.

I'm glad to hear your earlier scene establishes the geography.

The shot 1.42 where he places his hand on the shoulder, and the camera then jumps to another angle (Passing the magic line) is not technically correct as it leaves disorientation but it works for me as I'm trying to achieve a sinister slightly disorientated atmosphere to the scene.
    Indeed. I think this should be held up as a good example of crossing the line for the specific purpose of disorientating the viewer for a specific purpose.

Our Mr Chiswick ends up being tortured with his feet being nailed to the floor (by way of payment for his dastardly deeds) before the barn he is tyed up in is set on fire....Great fun as you will appreciate
    I trust you promised the actor considerably more than 100pd for that (and I hope you reneged whilst he was being filmed so you got some authenticity into his anger)
    Two more days filming in early July should see the first story completed and we I move onto the next which is a young girl dependent of drugs and having to resort to prostitution for survival.
    Ahhh. Sounds like a jolly jape! (You did say this was a comedy thriller?)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think Tims covered most points. I had one thought I didn't see any one drinking a pint ! It seemed odd that the Farmer types would be drinking shorts.
    You obviously haven't tasted the beer in "The Feathers" Midnight

proper! properly good!