Thread: Music Video to 'The Youth' by Mgmt

Cool Music Video to 'The Youth' by Mgmt

Hello!

I was wondering if I could get some criticism/comments/suggestions/views(lol) on this video that I put together. I created everything except for the song.

EDIT: available in 1080p, FYI

thank you!

Blog Entries

Sorry, it doesn't do anything for me. It seemed like it was trying to be arty to compensate for the fact that many of the the shots were pretty poor. As an experiment in trying out different compositing techniques it was OK, but as something for a viewer to watch, I can't see how it might engage an audience. I'm not sugesting you drop the "arty" bits, rather you concentrate on creating a bit more of a structure - a narrative - that will take the audience on a journey. Make them want to see what happens next/in the end. Then concentrate n getting really good shot - definitely avoid the use of the zoom especially in and out in the same shot.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    concentrate on creating a bit more of a structure - a narrative - that will take the audience on a journey. Make them want to see what happens next/in the end.
    Thank you so much for your input, I agree what you said, a lot of it was experimenting with composites, and I always seem to struggle with something conceptual, I tried to make a linear story what with the shot of the rock being thrown being spread out as well as the same with other shots. I do have to admit there was absolutely no planning for the shooting at all, as these shots were filmed casually while we explored the area we were in. Also I find I tend to just record stuff, rather than shoot if you know what I mean?

Again, thank you for your time and opinion!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
    Also I find I tend to just record stuff, rather than shoot if you know what I mean?
    I know exactly what you mean. I suffer from the same problem even making much more low-brow stuff than this - for example just a report on a local raft race. Shooting loads of stuff means loads of time wasted editing, trying to work out not only what's good but what shots work together well. If you start with a plan (ie storyboard it) everything is much more efficient and productive and you've more time and inclination left for the creative stuff.
    Tim

It seems what ever concept you had as the director just failed to communicate in the finished product. I think you seem to have some editing talent but without the shots to put together it was always going to be one to put on the learning curve pile.