Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Pikes Peak HD (14,110ft summit)

  1. Default Pikes Peak HD (14,110ft summit)

    Hey guys new to this forum. Wanted to post my latest video. (still a rought edit)



    This was shot with one GoPro Hero and i know that the clips need stabilization. I left it off just to get a more gritty effect.

    What should i add, take away etc. Thanks!
    Last edited by theycallme.RUFFI; 06-18-2011 at 10:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cumbria, Near the Lake district
    Posts
    415

    Default

    There's not too much to say.
    I like the simple titles and the tight editing to music early on.There are some good shots, I think you've got the length about right. Any longer would risk it becoming tedious as there ain't a lot happening.
    Good choice of music.
    http://www.soundzshop.com
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

    http://www.soundclick.com/solway

  3. #3

    Default

    It seems like you have the start of a video but no real content So what I'd do is use some of the footage from this video as an intro to something with a narrative. Nice tight editing but not much meat and potatoes.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It seems like you have the start of a video but no real content So what I'd do is use some of the footage from this video as an intro to something with a narrative. Nice tight editing but not much meat and potatoes.
    It was meant to be just be a nice little video. Nothing major but just a little demo of what the GoPro is capable of.

    THanks for the feedback as its much appreciated Blue.

    EDIT: BTW your right, this could be a nice intro to a small documentary or something of that nature.
    -------

    And Solway thanks for the feedback as well. Like i stated above it was just a fun little video that has no meaning. My mac was acting pretty weird so i couldn't get the video synced to the music just right towards the end of the video, but i have to agree, the song is pretty epic huh?
    Last edited by theycallme.RUFFI; 06-20-2011 at 05:16 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,846
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    'fraid it doesn't float my boat.
    I dislike the fish-eye effect with a vigour in this instance. What it does is draw the attention away from the scenery which is presumably the subject and focuses it on the road which is not at all interesting. I'd have kept the foreground out of the shots where you're using the wide angle. There are too many shots where the camera is way off level (so we have trees all growing straight but not upwards or clouds moving on slopes - eg 1:21 it just looks wrong). I didn't mind some of the shots with a bit of watre on the lens: this can add effect but others (eg 1:24) were just plain annoying, just one spot getting in the way of the image.
    There are also some very different colours - in some the sky is washed out, in others it's a gorgeous deep blue. This will happen, of course, but what grated with me was the way these were mixed seemingly ramdomly from a colour point of view (rather than,say, starting with overcast & washed out and moving towards clearer and blue)
    On a more positive note, there was a good variety of shots demonstrating the different askects of the scenery and it was edited at a lively pace.
    Tim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    norfolk
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Nicely done, I can only appreciate a fellow film enthusiast who will grab a camera and go film such a beautiful location. If you could see the boring scenery my home town is gifted with, you would see our struggle with filming. A beautiful camera and lens you have there, its very sport style filming

  7. Default

    At 2:13 your suppose to jump off the cliff like in the commercials.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    'fraid it doesn't float my boat.
    I dislike the fish-eye effect with a vigour in this instance. What it does is draw the attention away from the scenery which is presumably the subject and focuses it on the road which is not at all interesting. I'd have kept the foreground out of the shots where you're using the wide angle. There are too many shots where the camera is way off level (so we have trees all growing straight but not upwards or clouds moving on slopes - eg 1:21 it just looks wrong). I didn't mind some of the shots with a bit of watre on the lens: this can add effect but others (eg 1:24) were just plain annoying, just one spot getting in the way of the image.
    There are also some very different colours - in some the sky is washed out, in others it's a gorgeous deep blue. This will happen, of course, but what grated with me was the way these were mixed seemingly ramdomly from a colour point of view (rather than,say, starting with overcast & washed out and moving towards clearer and blue)
    On a more positive note, there was a good variety of shots demonstrating the different askects of the scenery and it was edited at a lively pace.
    The fish eye is the way the Go Pro camera looks when it is in its housing. After i get to LA Film i will have more options to use more settings and cameras. The colors are off because of the instant change in weather on the mountains and this is still a rough edit. BUT Thanks for the feedback!

    @BigTime: HAHA If i had a parachute i would of! :p

    @Origin: Thanks for the feedback, i love just having fun.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I dislike the fish-eye effect with a vigour in this instance... There are too many shots where the camera is way off level (so we have trees all growing straight but not upwards or clouds moving on slopes - eg 1:21 it just looks wrong).... I didn't mind some of the shots with a bit of watre on the lens: this can add effect but others (eg 1:24) were just plain annoying, just one spot getting in the way of the image.... There are also some very different colours.
    [I haven't had an opportunity to watch the video yet]. Tim, this neatly sums up all of my gripes with the GoPro. It's fantastic for POV shooting, but as a stand-alone camera, it's very poor. Unless the lighting is spot on (actually, forget that, unless the sun is shining brightly), colours are washed out. For me, it has two uses:

    • Filming continous sequences where you couldn't reasonably expect to film, particularly in extreme conditiuons - I've seen some mesmorising BMX footage for example.
    • As parts of an overall video to provide added "realism".

    Where videos (and this comment doesn't realate to this video) use the GoPro in a variety of conditions, and are the only video shot, Tim's points will invariably hold true.

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    [I haven't had an opportunity to watch the video yet]. Tim, this neatly sums up all of my gripes with the GoPro. It's fantastic for POV shooting, but as a stand-alone camera, it's very poor. Unless the lighting is spot on (actually, forget that, unless the sun is shining brightly), colours are washed out. For me, it has two uses:

    • Filming continous sequences where you couldn't reasonably expect to film, particularly in extreme conditiuons - I've seen some mesmorising BMX footage for example.
    • As parts of an overall video to provide added "realism".

    Where videos (and this comment doesn't realate to this video) use the GoPro in a variety of conditions, and are the only video shot, Tim's points will invariably hold true.
    It's also personal taste. Thats why we have Final Cut or Premiere to fix the colors. Just because one person doesn't like the fish lens doesn't mean anyone else doesn't.

    Good thing i've gotten nothing but postive everywhere else i've posted this :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sony Vegas Peak Problems
    By Sam093 in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 05:54 PM
  2. Fixing audio peak volume
    By disbot4 in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM
  3. Generating Peak File...
    By mhoctober in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 01:00 PM
  4. Premiere Pro 2 - Generating Peak File - Takes forever
    By d-dmusic in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 08:16 PM
  5. 4 Pilots fly over Cabezon Peak (7,787 Feet)
    By tdrtw in forum User Videos
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 12:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •