Thread: Boys will be Boys. A Spitfire is born. Ish.

Blog Entries

Default Boys will be Boys. A Spitfire is born. Ish.

This is some of the footage I shot for 'that' project I've got coming up - and this compilation was made more for the boys I borrowed than anything else. They are desperate to see what talent they have as screen actors... actual stuff for the main project will be maybe 10 to 15 seconds worth of whats here.

Enjoy. Or Not.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, like your missus is going to let two boys use glue on that dining room table!

Nice vid, as always. Cool lighting, nice compositions, top camera moves. No criticisms at all on the technical quality but then, in your case, I'd expect it to be spot-on as usual. You're determined to get as much use out of your home-made track as possible aren't ya?

My personal opinion is that tracking shots should be used carefully and I'm not a fan of shots which start as a static shot, then the track starts. Unless it's a motivated move. The shot at 1:34 for example. You cut to the Lanc, there's a beat and then the track starts. However it's a nice little portrait of the boys, I just don't know if "Blockbuster" is the right music. It may just be that I don't like the tune much but the music didn't quite work for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    .. You're determined to get as much use out of your home-made track as possible aren't ya?.
    Yeah. Way too much - I know... I'm practicing ok? Lol.

.. I'm not a fan of shots which start as a static shot, then the track starts..
    Agreed.
    .. I just don't know if "Blockbuster" is the right music.
    Neither do I - no excuses. It was the nearest CD to hand.

Cheers for the other comments. All appreciated. Lighting wise I used a Comer 1800 on a stand to my right, with a refector off to my left.. Seemed to work ok...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post

It was the nearest CD to hand.
    A CD by "Sweet" was the nearest to hand ???!!!

LOL

Nice one Andy. Apart from the jump cut at 0:55.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 06-20-2011 at 11:29 AM.

ah, a classic WW2 aircraft and some glam rock wrapped together by a hobby many of today's kids would not entertain. Great how you had the kids do all those shots for you and I say that as I know how difficult it is to express to kids what your after in a shot. My little trick is to do the video while they think the camera is off, often the best stuff comes from the fact the pressure of performing is no longer there. It's also done on many TV commercials and films where kids can be spooked by the sound clapper and formality of shooting a scene.

the other trick to do is if you need a kids eye line is put a smiley face around the matt box of the camera!

only small detail i can pick is there is a cut at around 55 seconds which does not seem right, same shot thing going on, not sure maybe that's what you were after there.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Yes - there are a couple of mistakes that snuck in under the radar - surprised no one commented on the tripod leg that sneaks into view at one point...

Blog Entries

Dare I mention that the four or five permanent CDs in my car (as opposed to those I swap frequently) include "Sweet's Greatest Hits". I'm not proud of it.

But Teenage Rampage contains at least one line appropriate for the subject matter:

"There's something in the air of which we all should be aware"
    Tim