Thread: Is there anything I can do to fix this nasty artefact?

Default Is there anything I can do to fix this nasty artefact?

I filmed a couple of things using an iPhone mounted on the handlebars of my motorcycle. The problem, evident on several videos, is that as engine RPM rises, whether the bike is moving or not, suddenly the iage starts to swim. The higher the RPM, the greater the swimming effect. See...

for an example. Obviously I have the original files. The thing is, it sort of looks like a consistent effect that could be dialled out in software... is it? And what software would I need that could fix that?

I found it very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
    Does the iphone use an 'anti-shake' system? The clip looks something is trying to compensate for the movement.
    Personally, I don't think the iPhone is suitable for such (or any) filming. However, using a standard cam without any anti-shake will, of course, show the shaking which natrually occurs when you simply attach a cam to handlebars.

Yes, there is a little shaking, but I think that adds to the ambience. It's that shimmering wobble thing that makes the video so hard to watch. I have another clip where revving the bike at a standstill before I pull away causes the same 'wibbly wobbly' effect, and the bike doesn't shake, so I assumed it to be some kind of electronic interference - it looks almost sinusoidal. The standard iPhone 3GS camera application doesn't have any anti-shake functionality that I know of...

There is no way to remove this artifact. It is not a constant but variable only something like a frame by frame treatment would fix it. That is a lot of work for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    There is no way to remove this artifact. It is not a constant but variable only something like a frame by frame treatment would fix it. That is a lot of work for something like this.
    Ah, that's a pity... I was hoping somebody would say 'Oh yeah, I get that all the time. I use 'De-Wobbler 7 for Windows and it processes that right out of the film'... :-(.

Oh well, wobbly video it is then...

PS: Thanks for the reply

There may still be things you can do to avoid it the next time. I would assume you will get a lot of vibration through the handle bars of the bike this may be a major cause of the problem. See if you can locate it with some sort of foam padding to cut down the vibration. Also see it there are any settings on the phone which will increase the frames per second or shutter speed. OR better still get a proper camera.

Yes, if you can mount the camera to your body instead of your bike, your body will absorb most of the vibrations and you won't see that wobble effect. A HDGoPro helment cam works great too!

-Mike

Hi there,

As well as a Go Pro - you might want to try out an Action Cameras HD170 Stealth - we fit these to all out TV motos and they produce some fantastic video which our producers use in their broadcast quality productions. We've tried lots of different types of bullet cams but nothing as good as these.

Checkout Action Cameras | MediaMotos for a bit more info on what we use them for or www.actionacameras.co.uk to find out where to buy one.

We really cannot recommend them highly enough for filming from a motorcycle.