Thread: AKG SE300 B with CK91 capsule to be used as onboard camera mic. Any good??

Default AKG SE300 B with CK91 capsule to be used as onboard camera mic. Any good??

Hi All,

Im new here but have enjoyed reading some of the posts!

Im thinking of upgrading my Sony HVR V1 on board camera mic. Ive got an AKG SE300 B with CK91 capsule. Would this be a good replacement? I have used one before on s Sondy PD170 and it sounded very good to be honest.

I know that the AKgs mentioned above are ideal for hand held or studio work, just wondered if there are any rules with on board mics.

Thanks,

Ollie

Blog Entries

Personally I would use the CK93 rather than the 91. In fact I do use exactly that combination as the on-board for my XH A1. The CK91 cardioid is a bit too wide for my liking, capturing anyone or anything at the side whereas the 93 is narrower and a tad more directional without becoming a "shotgun" type.

I like the SE300/CK93 because it has a lot less handling noise than other hyper-cardioids which, in my opinion, is an important consideration in an on-board mic. It also means that you can take the mic off the camcorder, add an extension cable and you've got a great little hand-mic.

Thanks for your advise mate. I will look into the 93 capsule or might look at the Rode NTG-1.

Ollie

Blog Entries

Look at the Rode NTG-1 by all means but don't buy it! It's been said that the "NTG" stands for Not Too Good and you'll notice that the AKG blueline will sound much, much better. The Rode NTG-3 is an altogether different beast but costs around 500.

The Rode NTG series are shotgun, or super-cardioid microphones with a very directional pattern. This is not necessarily good for an on-camera microphone where you need a slightly wider pattern to avoid sound fading in and out if the camera's not pointing directly at the source.

If you're buying new, then Thomann Cyberstore is one of the best places to buy AKG.