Thread: Advice on a Blu Ray player

Default Advice on a Blu Ray player

I am not sure if this is the right part of the forum for my problem, if not I apologise in advance.

I now have a Sony HD TV (PAL) and an Hitachi HD camera (1080 or 720), my editing programme is Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.

If I want to get the best definition/play back on my finished video I believe I should use a Blu Ray player and discs. In which case is there anything in particular I should look out for when buying the Blu Ray player or discs. I also note the HDMI cables appear to vary enormously in price, is it really necessary to go for the most expensive.

Any advice will be appreciated.

London, England

BlueRay specification for 3D
    Yr post:
    No replies?
    I found this, so you might as well check it out - BlueRay Spec...admittedly it's 3D (or 3-D);Final 3-D Blu-ray Specification Announced,
    My interest is 2d (grief that's difficult enough) and like you have Vegas studio (the production suite, cheaply off Amazon). BlueRay spec has been finalised and thus there could be "old-spec" BlueRay kit out there, but watch out if you might want 3D.
    ...there, FWIW.

PS What surprises me is that no-one has thought to increase the diameter of discs, ( 150mm anyone),?....for even a small increase could double the capacity and new-players would still play our normal discs....but we'd have the choice - as BlueRay was so long comming, it would have been quite easy to change - and it would in an instant give a huge increase to Capacity, data etc. Who knows, we might even be able to include some redundancy so as to preserve the data, should dirt blow in....For 3D it might be possible to arrange the code so the LH is master and RH is slaved, showing the "differences" rather than the whole image, with the computer (yes in a TV) sorting out the final pixels. Something similar must be employed with so-called 3D camcorders which have lenses rather close together.