Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition Interest?

Default Competition Interest?

[edited Because Of Dead Links.]
    Last edited by Eason; 11-06-2006 at 02:49 AM. Reason: old

I love to review peopleís video efforts.

You say Ďrespondí, yet a lot of folks donít Ė even the regulars on these boards often donít comment at all on user vids.

Other wonít agree, but I get the feeling only the well known posters get much attention. You can all shoot me down in flames for saying this.

Truth is, Iím a bit miffed! I submitted a good example of editing skills Ė result: no comment whatsoever, and hardly anyone downloaded it. (Sob).

Anyway, I think a comp should include content, editing skills, and overall directorial ability Ė maybe with marks for each category. Sounds like a fair system of assessment?

Quote Originally Posted by tone33
    You say Ďrespondí, yet a lot of folks donít Ė even the regulars on these boards often donít comment at all on user vids.

Other wonít agree, but I get the feeling only the well known posters get much attention. You can all shoot me down in flames for saying this.

Truth is, Iím a bit miffed! I submitted a good example of editing skills Ė result: no comment whatsoever, and hardly anyone downloaded it. (Sob).
    I am a bit puzzled by this post. Surely tone33 is not referring to his most recent video, which attracted 20 responses. In addition I think you will find that both competitions were, on the whole, supported by the forum regulars.

As for commenting on every user vid, it is quite difficult. Some of them are simply too big to download, others yet more skate videos (which just aren't my bag I'm afraid).

If there is another competition then I for one, and I suspect most of the regulars, will consider giving it a go.

Oops, I just need to go and get my flame gun ...
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Competitions are difficult. I know that Marc spent a lot of time and effort organising the last one, even getting a sponsor for the prizes.

Result - About twenty poeple signed up to take part but only about half a dozen actual entries arrived. Just about all of them were downloaded dozens of times yet when it came to comments and voting, only a handful of people bothered.

Personally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marc decided he can't be bothered with competitions anymore.

There is a core of poeple here and I think that is what keeps these forums going sometimes. I expect that a good 95% of thoses signing up do so because they have a burning question they want an answer to and then just bugger off when they get that answer. I've noticed a few of them come back every nwo and again - probably when they have another problem.

For my part I like the community. There's plenty of non editing banter going on at times. Sometimes we manage to piss others off (guilty!). Sometimes I'll even be in a good enough mood to answer a de-interlace question I've made a few good mates on here, a couple I've actually now met. But as much as I feel and want to be part of this community I certainly don't feel inclined to download and critique every single piece of footage put up on display. Sometimes, it's just obvious from the post that it's not my cup of tea, Much like Mr. Jammy and the skate videos.

So if you do post a clip and get little or no response then don't take it personally (and I know I'm a fine one to talk here ). It's probably just not everyone's cup of tea or you've caught them on the wrong day.

Having said all that though, if a new competition does come along, I'll def be making an entry.

I was very lucky last time as I was going to make my video anyway. That it fit the competition was a happy bonus.

So then, someone tell me what the next theme is going to be. I'm sure McGill will turn up in one form or another. He need to get out more I reckon and get some more exercise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    There is a core of people here and I think that is what keeps these forums going sometimes. I expect that a good 95% of thoses signing up do so because they have a burning question they want an answer to and then just bugger off when they get that answer. I've noticed a few of them come back every now and again - probably when they have another problem.

For my part I like the community. There's plenty of non editing banter going on at times.
    Alans right. (of course!) Even in my short time here I can see that his comments are spot on.

For my part, I really enjoy the community too.

As for a competition, I would relish the chance to do something new.

The problem I find is being so busy attending to my customers that I don't make the time to be creative for myself. I like to think that a competition would kick my ass into gear and kick start my brain. (or whats left of it).

(3 cheers to Mr. Mills for telling it like it is! )

I'd be up for a competition.

And Alan's right, core members etc...

Competition or no competition... evil plans are afoot.

:twisted:

Default yes! have another competition

hello, my second input into the forum now.
    I have no equiptment for making a video of my own but I love checking out every one else's as well as trying to figure out what is needed to actually start making videos.
    I haven't commented so far because it seems such a tight community of video makers I thought comments from a newby with no video skills may be frowned upon but, if that isn't the case, I will throw my twopenny worth in at the drop of the hat.
    And yes! have another competition.

Default Re: yes! have another competition

Quote Originally Posted by middlehaitch
    I have no equiptment for making a video of my own but I love checking out every one else's as well as trying to figure out what is needed to actually start making videos.
    Well, you've got a PC (or access to one) so you're most of the way there already. You just need a camera and the means toi capture the footage. Usually this just means have a firewire port on your PC.
    I haven't commented so far because it seems such a tight community of video makers I thought comments from a newby with no video skills may be frowned upon but, if that isn't the case, I will throw my twopenny worth in at the drop of the hat.
    It's not that tight. You're just catching the regulars, that's all. And as you won't become a regular by not posting then post away. Just be involved. It's what this community is all about.

And yes! have another competition.
    I'm all for another competition. I just can't see it happening after the poor turnout of the last one.

Default Re: yes! have another competition

Quote Originally Posted by middlehaitch
    I haven't commented so far because it seems such a tight community of video makers I thought comments from a newby with no video skills may be frowned upon
    no no no! join in!!! None of us here mind the newbies, it's the ignorant people that come on expecting us to drop everything and help them, answering their badly written questions.

Come on in, the water's lovely

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast