Thread: A Journey Through Jakarta (MERANGKUM JAKARTA), A Video from Jakarta, INDONESIA

1. Thumbs up A Journey Through Jakarta (MERANGKUM JAKARTA), A Video from Jakarta, INDONESIA

Title: Merangkum Jakarta (A Journey Through Jakarta)
    Director: Febian Nurrahman Saktinegara
    Year: 2011
    Duration: 00:14:54

Merangkum Jakarta Video

watch better quality at vimeo

Note:
    Jakarta (English pronunciation: /dʒəˈkɑrtə/;[5]), (formerly Batavia and officially the Special Capital Territory of Jakarta), is the capital and largest city of Indonesia. Located on the northwest coast of Java, it has an area of 661 square kilometres (255 sq mi) and a 2010 census count population of 9,580,000.[4] Jakarta is the country's economic, cultural and political centre. It is the most populous city in Indonesia and in Southeast Asia, and is the tenth-largest city in the world. -wikipedia-

the video is divided into 4 parts;

Part 1 - Dynamic, "Jakarta-on-the-go" - as the opening of the video.

Part 2 - Light and Building (Timelapse Journey through Jakarta), telling the stories of modernisation of Jakarta, the city that never "sleeps", showered with neon lights.

Part 3 - Playground, an unforgettable place for the children of Jakarta,used to be the land for children during the salad days but now, getting cramped due to modernisation process which leads to extinction.

Part 4 - Human, the faces of Jakarta, caught in their daily routines - "bare and stripped", without pretense.

Production Still:

Cinematography by Febian Nurrahman Saktinegara
    Big thanks to Mohamad Taufik Nuh, Nosami Rikadi and Arie Naftali Hawu Hede
    Music by Two Steps From Hell and John Stanford

It's not perfect but it does take us on a journey. It should perhaps be split in to two seperate videos but I'm not sure. There is a lot to like about this video but just now an again you put in a badly framed shot. OR the masking on the pan & tilt didn't look right on some of them OR the camera wasn't level. BUT mostly it's good stuff. I prefer the second half of the video or what you call parts 3 & 4. I think too much time-laps all together like that can be to much without a break but the variaty of shots did help to keep my interst.

The music was very good and the edting with the feel of the music was good.

If you take out some of the not so good stuff you will have a great video.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It's not perfect but it does take us on a journey. It should perhaps be split in to two seperate videos but I'm not sure. There is a lot to like about this video but just now an again you put in a badly framed shot. OR the masking on the pan & tilt didn't look right on some of them OR the camera wasn't level. BUT mostly it's good stuff. I prefer the second half of the video or what you call parts 3 & 4. I think too much time-laps all together like that can be to much without a break but the variaty of shots did help to keep my interst.

The music was very good and the edting with the feel of the music was good.

If you take out some of the not so good stuff you will have a great video.
    Wow.. thank you for your critique, this really meant for us, because we're amateur and still learning how to make a great video. My partner Febian, the cinematographer, still young, 21 years old. And also you're right the camera wasn't level (it is manually to shoot each of photos for still images 'cos didn't have a remote control for photo capture). Last but not least, I'm sorry if I not so good in English :') Many thank for your appreciation.

Blog Entries

This rather put me in mind of "concept" music albums popular in the early 1970's - four quite different, but related films.
    Overall I agree entirely with Midnight.
    The best film by far, in terms of content, was Playground, even though this was perhaps technically the least proficient.
    The second film, though technically quite good, went on far too long. Again as Midnight says, there's only so much timelapse wecan take - no matter how well shot or edited - without something of more substance.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This rather put me in mind of "concept" music albums popular in the early 1970's - four quite different, but related films.
    Overall I agree entirely with Midnight.
    The best film by far, in terms of content, was Playground, even though this was perhaps technically the least proficient.
    The second film, though technically quite good, went on far too long. Again as Midnight says, there's only so much timelapse wecan take - no matter how well shot or edited - without something of more substance.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you Sir for your comment, we get something new from you, really.