Thread: It's Settled...What Should I Add?

Default It's Settled...What Should I Add?

I've been tossing the idea around for about a year now as to whether or not to upgrade my camera kit to a new Nikon Camera. Being a photographer (almost spelled it with an, the dSLR route is the best bet for me. My D60 is showing it's age and usage and it just isn't getting it done anymore. Since I'm lacking a video camera of any kind (my friend broke my last one...SD tape), it's time for me to upgrade. I'm twisted between a D7000 and a D300S (I'd love to have a D3S, but I lack the funds for it) although I'm leaning towards the D7000 due it's 500 dollar lower price (if I need a D300, I can always ask one of my friends). My current kit idea is:

Nikon D7000
    Nikon MB-D11 battery pack
    Nikon EN-EL15 Battery (2nd battery for the battery pack)
    Nikon BM-11 Monitor Cover (I use long lenses so I rest my cameras on their backs to protect the lens to camera mounts)
    Nikkor 18-55mm (own)
    Nikkor 55-200mm (own...plan to sell)
    Nikkor 18-200mm (plan to buy with or without the D7000)
    Nikkor 50mm f1.4 (own)
    Nikkor Macro of some size (dunno yet)

Things I'm currently looking for:

Memory sticks with the size and speed for video recording
    A good microphone that won't kill my account
    A good tripod that just like the microphone, won't kill the bank
    Anything else that I should get

It'll be used for:

Simple, yet creative videos
    For fun
    Potential features of local business, interviews, etc.

Lighting and what not can wait.

Before you ask, why're you using a D60 and you call yourself a photographer. I don't shoot portraits, or sports, or anything of that kind. I don't do contract work. Most of it is for fun, yet I do sell some shots. I usually only do nature and wildlife based work, although two years ago, I did one HELL of a lot of contract based work as a photographic intern. I usually just borrowed or rented what I needed from the person who was mentoring me for said work.

SO...with all of that being said, of the things I'm looking for, what do you experts recommend?

EDIT: I also know the question will probably pop up, "Why have two lenses that cover the same focal length?" Well, the 18-55 and 18-200 will have two different uses. The 18-55 I use for a lot of close up work when I don't have a macro lens on hand. With that being said the 18-55 will stay with me until I get a macro lens (which even then, with the zoom feature, it gives me additional creativity with a close up shot) the 18-55 will stick with me as a close up lens and the 18-200 will be used a full feature zoom lens.
    Last edited by AlphinTheGeek; 06-10-2011 at 07:24 PM.

This is a proper reply unlike the spam bot ones before me. Forget about recording sound in the camera. You need to use a separate digital recording device like a Zoom or Tascam, even with a good mic you won't get good sound with that camera. For the tripod if your really Broke try a Velbon DV7000, It's quite cheap and light weight but not bad for a starter. If you can afford it try reaching for a Manfrotto tripod head.

London, England

Is this thread being hijacked?

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Is this thread being hijacked?
    Sorry guys, hadn't spotted. Posts removed and users banned.