Thread: What equipment/software will do this job for me?

Default What equipment/software will do this job for me?

Hi gents and ladies,

Please be patient, I am indeed a newbie.

I am looking to achieve a very specific result and I am hoping you can point me in the right direction. Is there any sort of software/equipment that allows the use of a real-time on-screen stopwatch that also allows the footage to be fast-forwarded and rewound frame-by-frame?

To give an idea of what I am looking for, I work in horse racing analysis and I am looking to record accurate split times for horses in races. What makes this difficult is that the horses are running at 60kmph and it is difficult to judge when the horses are passing the relevant marker posts with any degree of accuracy.

The above software/equipment would allow me to fast-forward/rewind the footage until the relevant horse is exactly at the relevant post, allowing me to note the exact time on the on-screen stopwatch, then fast-forward to the next post and do the same, resulting in a very accurate sectional time.

If any of you could confirm whether or not such a thing exists, it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Not sure if i am reading this correctly, but... if you apply a timecode to the footage, would this do what you want?

Apologies, I should have clarified. The requirement here would be for times to within a tenth of a second or even better. Frame-by-frame adjustments would be needed for that, I presume?

If you apply a time code to the footage, this will give you a stop watch on the screen that is accurate to the frame rate of your footage 1/25 or 1/30.
    When you view the footage in you editor, you can easily view each frame, and fast forward/reverse to any point in the race.
    Also... if you wanted you could superimpose/overlay the time at each point for a few seconds, so that when playing the completed video back (on computer or DVD) the time code at a particular point would freeze... just like a stop watch..
    Last edited by Mannering Media; 06-09-2011 at 11:17 AM.

That sounds like a very simple solution. Much simpler than I envisaged! I'll give it a go for sure. Many thanks for the advice.

Your very welcome... please read the edited response that i updated after you acknowledged my reply.

All the best,

Cumbria, Near the Lake district

Time code is brilliant and so accurate for this. I've used it successfully on sporting events
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.