Thread: My 1st post. Just me and my GoPro

Default My 1st post. Just me and my GoPro

Hi all, This is an experimental edit of me riding along a short cliff path but filmed with 1 camera (gopro hd) and no one manning it. Just staged each shot, rode past then edited it together to show the run. Before any one says, i know the light / time of day was bad but this is just about piecing it together to music.
    I am new to all of this so be gentle with me.

As you already know about the lighting issue I'll move on to the editing which is what you say the video is about. I thought it was a good example of how you can make a video much more interesting even though you only have one camera. It just shows if you take the time and effort do things what you can do. BUT where was the on-board shots.

I thought the panning at around 34 sec was a clever touch. I don't think your editing made me think it was all just one continues ride but a good effort.

Blog Entries

Nicely done.

You already know about the lighting issues but I feel you're missing out on the advantages of a go-pro. You can stick it anywhere, on your helmet, handlebars, pedals etc etc and a few close-ups would add a lot.

However, nice zooms and pans added in the edit and I look forward to see what happens next.

Why not go to South Cornwall for some proper scenery

i would have cutb the first few seconds (walking to bike) and wasnt keen on the colour bleed transitions.

other than that a nice little piece

whats the music btw ?

It didn't seem right just going straight in the riding footage plus the walk built upto the music.
    The music is by pretty lights. Go to their website, they give their music away ! Free downloads of all their albums.
    Artist: pretty lights
    Album: glowing in the darkest night
    Track: so much in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by LARGE View Post
    The music is by pretty lights. Go to their website, they give their music away ! Free downloads of all their albums.
    Artist: pretty lights
    Album: glowing in the darkest night
    Track: so much in the dark
    thats right down my streetb

thanks for the heads up large

I liked your opening shot idea, it creates a good mood for the dificult ligting your working with, but tought it too long.

If you broke it up with sme cose ups of getting on the bike it could work better.

David.

I just remembered I meant to get back to this as I posted before when I was in a rush.

Working under tricky lighting like this doesn't have to be too restrictive, it's the conditions I work under and I'm kind of getting fascinated by it. You have 2 shots that have problems. At 1:04 and 1:15 (same shot edited in). In all the other shots you expose for the sky and get some nice moody contrast between it and the darkened land. At the times mentioned you have a far greater percentage of land than sky in shot, so you done the obvious thing and exposed for the land, but this has caused mismatched contrast in your edit. If you had exposed for the sky you would have lost your subject in the shadows (as you know). Even if there was no sky in the shots you would have exposed correctly for the particular shot (if it was solitary) and there would have been some incontinuity (is that a word) in the edit.

I think if you had kept them exposed for the sky, and adjusted the framing, it would have looked a lot better. Perhaps on the first of the shots, if you got in closer and made it shorter it would have been acceptable. But theres no ruling or guide to go by, it can only be judged by opinion when trying it out.

The later isn't so straight forward as I know you want that wider shot even more on this one.

Have you thought of this. Stick a couple of lights on the bike. Not those high power night lights for endurabce racing, something like a set of knogg frogs, something that lets motorists see you rather than lights up the night in front of you. You don't need them at this time of day for cycling, but they might just give you an extra bit of leverage to get the contrast matching while letting the viewer follow the subject. I don't think they'd look out of place.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 06-17-2011 at 05:28 PM.