Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Cut Pro X

Default Final Cut Pro X

I am holding my breath... does anyone know when the release date actually is in June?

Steve Jobs?
    Ho ho ho.......

You can get FCPX today at the App Store.
    Apple - Final Cut Pro X - A revolution in creative editing.

It's had an.... interesting response so far. Fair few features people like, but there's plenty of controversy over the direction Apple seem to have taken Final Cut in. So far FCPX has moved much more towards the consumer scale, with people calling it more of a glorified iMovie rather than upgraded final cut pro.

Be interesting to see how it is received over the next few weeks.

In the past I toyed with the idea of changing back to mac (I used apple's before the mac days and early mac days) my thinking then was basically down to the shody microsoft operating systems. I've now found myself in a position where I'm looking at options again and just watched the video at the apple website. Today with windows 7 having put all the microsoft issues in the past, buying an equivelant performance mac and software is much cheaper than buying a PC and software, but it's now a cheap compromise rather than the expensive fantasy it once was. So I watched the FCP X video on the apple website. Does anyone get whats going on with that timeline, not long ago many Avid MC users were complaining about the new timeline tools slowing down their long established workflows, and that was minor in comparison. What's going on with FCP in this one video has just put me off instantly.

Is anyone using it that has changed from previous versions that can give opinion on the change?

With this quote:

So far FCPX has moved much more towards the consumer scale, with people calling it more of a glorified iMovie rather than upgraded final cut pro.
    I'm under the "first" impression that maybe apple have eventually admited that they aren't a patch on Avid and dont want to try and compete any more. I've always looked at it as a cheap alternative, but a worthwhile alternative. But now, perhaps not even a consideration. But I also use, and love, the comparably minor alterations Avid recently made. So maybe new users to FCPX will be powering through their edits in a year or so. Never the less, what looks to me like such a massive change to the work flow does look like pro users will (without option) stick with the previous version and could that be a getting left behind thing? Many post houses, the smaller ones in particular have major issues with such big changes and keeping up with new versions. This just looks too big for small busy companies to keep up with.

I'm curious to hear if anyone changes/has changed to it and how they found adapting.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 06-23-2011 at 11:58 PM.

I was wondering if anyone else had bought this?
    I am very keen to move up from the Final Cut Express 4 on my mac, but am hearing a lot of different opinions across the web. I'm reading up on every article that pops up, and was just wondering if anyone else had maybe bought it and gotten to grips with it?

I understand a few features are missing that weren't in FCP7, such as OMF export and tape import/export.
    I'm more fussed about the OMF export, but am hearing other little things that sound a bit off, such as not being able to move clips further out into the blank space on the end of the timeline, or having more than one sequence per project. Anyone got any first-hand experience with the new app?

I've been looking around at the few bits and pieces that are one the web and I think apple could be on to something with this. But I think it's very early and lots of changes will need made through updates and customer feedback.

I'm considering, but I'd quite like to see an essential training tutorial set apear at lynda.com to get a better look at it.

David.

Seen that video so much now.
    But I don't think any of the actual problems with Final Cut Pro X have anything to do with the issues they mock in the video. If anything, the editing speed increases and becomes easier, so the mistakes deliberately made in the video are even harder to make.

Such as syncing. It can auto-sync in seconds with external audio without the need for the clapper board as it analyses the in-camera mic and external mic.

But I don't think any of the actual problems with Final Cut Pro X have anything to do with the issues they mock in the video
    That's what I thought, it was just a pointless and irelevant video.

but am hearing other little things that sound a bit off, such as not being able to move clips further out into the blank space on the end of the timeline
    That's probably not too much of a problem. Premiere and I believe previous versions of FCP see it as blank spaces, Avid sees it as filler video. When you leave a "blank space" avid automatically fills it. I remember windows movie maker done neither so you couldn't leave gaps between clips to add video or graphics later. All you need to do is add a proxy place holder, just get a still image with a recognisable "placeholder" graphic on it and put it in place. If what you have heard is true, it is a stupid step backwards (but there's a workaround) and I can imagine they'll get loads of complaints and go the Avid route of automatically having filler.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 06-25-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast