Thread: Music Video - 'Blitz'

Default Music Video - 'Blitz'

Hi,

We film weddings for a living, but I wanted to try my hand at a music video and this is my effort.

A little background information:

'BLITZ' was overseen and produced by none other than the very talented and world famous Kevin Shirley (Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Aerosmith, Dream Theatre etc) cavemanproductions.com/​discography.htm

The music video & record is a concept based on the theme of “paradise lost” and depicts the world’s fall from grace.

Classic Rock magazine described the work as “a sprawling cinematic epic!” and they were right. It plays like a Hard Rock, Star Chasing Spaghetti Western!

hope you enjoy.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Nice one John. Long time since we've seen anything from you here.
    (For those newcomers who aren't familar with GDR's work, check it out. It may change your perception of what a wedding video can look like)

I think one of the most important aspects of tis video is it looks like you managed to get a performance out of the band for every clip you used. So often we see music vids where it's clear the talent is flagging a some point, not so here.
    I'm not entirely sure that the field was the best location for the exterior shots - I might have expected something more urban (though I appreciate it ties in with the concrete bunker) - the field, particularly with the camera on a jib, looked a bit like a poor man's version of an AOR video where we see Jon Bonjovi and Richie Sambora atop a mountain or in a vast field of serial. I'm not saying the shots weren't done well, just it rang the wrong bells for me.

The weakest part for me though was the explosion & fallout. Sorry - it looked very fake and rather spoiled the video for me. I guess you haven't had a lot of cause to use explosions in your weddings so I shouldn't be surprised if you haven't quite mastered the art yet.

But aside from those niggles, a great video, full of energy, which appears to capture the personality of the band, and complements the music very well.
    Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your thumbs up on our weddings, much appreciated

We actually loved the location shots where we filmed the band, so if I may kindly disagree with you here. However I totally agree about the fireball and fall. Always wanted to use an explosion in a wedding! but where.... so the first minute I had a chance I tried, and failed
    Easy to remove the offending sequence so really appreciate you telling me what my mind was already thinking.

Thank you for taking the time to view.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GDR View Post
    We actually loved the location shots where we filmed the band, so if I may kindly disagree with you here.
    Thats the most polite disagreement I think I've ever had! So long as you and the client are happy, my opinion counts for nowt. Mind you, my argument wasn't too strong when I referred to a field of "serial" - oops.
    Tim

Nice video! As Tim said, you really got a great preformance from the band, and that is definitly alot to do with the way it's shot! I felt like the story of the video was a little random. I get the reference to blitzkrieg, nazis, gestapo, but other than that? People with long hair and missing teeth hugging TV:s? There are a couple of shots I would have skipped. The face the chubby dude makes at 03:08. It just throws me out of the feeling you've built up.
    Great video otherwise. Great pans. I especially loved the shots of the drummer! Lots of energy!

Hi Klas,

Thx for your comments and kind words

Re- story, you have to delve into the mind of the storyteller who wanted to create a scene around the fall of society and man leading to quite a surreal enviroment where people have been brainwashed etc.

To be honest though, I cannot remember the last time I saw a music video where I really got the storyline! most music videos nowadays thrive on scantilly dressed women dancing around expensive cars!...

Cheers

I thought it was great. The music was so well interpreted. Aggressive, high energy etc. The one thing I noticed, may be because I'm a bit of a nerd. Is you had some great shots of the drummer like the one at 2:45 and 3:40 but seemed to miss the same treatment on the other members of the band. Not there wasn't shots of the bass player and the guy with the red guitar but the drummer seemed to get star treatment. I was wondering if that's because you got such a good performance from him but not the other guys. Obviously the lead singer got his share of attention. That's not really a criticism more of an observation.

Great job by every one.

Great observation. I wanted to focus on the energy of the piece and felt the drummers shots matched the feel I wanted whilst the others were quite subdued, so yes, they are there but more in the background. You may find that there are more shots of the other band member though. The lead singer and one of the guitar players are identical twins so you may have assumed they are the same person when watching!

Cheers.