Thread: Motion Tracking commercial - Riding a car down the highway

Default Motion Tracking commercial - Riding a car down the highway

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I'm trying to talk to people and get some good advice/criticism.
    My latest video was a commercial that I produced for a contest that a local juice company was having. The main effect in the video is achieved with 3D motion tracking. If you have any thoughts or comments about how I could have improved it or just things to look out for next time let me know.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated

2. Default

I liked most of it! I thought your actual motion tracking looked very good and it actually appeared to be in the scene.

The biggest issue i have with it is the lack of sound design. I wanted to hear more. From outdoor ambience and car driving noises to an impact when you dove and hit the ground.

But i really liked all the visual aspects of it! Great job!

Is that a Ween t-shirt ?

Right oN!

It's very very well done.
    If i was your boss - which i'm not - but if i was - It would be about half as long with bigger more percussive sound as advised above.
    So - in edit terms time would be massively compressed,

BUT it's the most natural thing in the world to want to keep all your lovely hard work and let it sit for as long as poss on the screen.

The compositing is good.

Asheville, NC USA

Nice work!

A few things that stood out to me.

1) The bottle stood out of place in most of your shots. Lighting was off, but there was no motion blurring so it didn't blend well with your shots. Try to composite your effects better into your shots.

2) I'm not sure if it was a rough motion track, or if you purposefully made the bottle shake a lot, but it was distracting.

3) Sound mix: As sleightlyprismatic and Thuston Lang both said, you need more sound effects and lower your music. This will captivate your watchers better.

4) Continuity: The editing between different shots broke up the rhythm of the commercial. Try using different sound effects as audio transitions, connection 2 different shots together.

5) White Balance: You color temps changed when you were outside. If you're not going to white balance your camera, you can set you color temps to 5600 K for outdoor shots. Several outside shots looked like 3200 K (WB preset for incandescent lighting), giving them a bluish look. You can also fix this in post.

You guys did a great job! I'm just giving my "un-candy coated" 2 cents. Believe me when I say, I know how much work these spots can take.

Keep it up!

Last edited by MikeGJr; 07-09-2011 at 12:38 AM.