Thread: Black Out

Default Black Out

Can anyone help with an annoying problem when filming on abright sunny day.
    The problem is that when trying to shoot videothe screen on my Video Camera goes black and to be honest you canít seeanything let alone what you are trying to shoot, the same problem arises on mySony Digi Camera as well, can some sort of screen filter be used to block outthe sun light or is this something you have to put up with with cameras withouta view finder.

The only solution is to move to Scotland.

Only joking.

You can either buy a purpose made or make a sun shade out of card.

Thanks for the tip Midnight Blue, I tried putting a piece of card above thescreen of my video camera and it did work a little bit but was still quite dark at times
    so I don'tthink the car trick is the total solution to the problem.

On ships they use a big piece of rubber over the radar-screen, with only a slot to look through.
    Maybe an anti-glare cover will help, like this: GPSMAP Garmin Lexerd 172 TrueVue Antiglare Fish Finder Radar
    And when you buy a new camera, you know one of the 'must have's'.
    greeting, Jan Is videofilmen je hobby? Kijk hier!

I live in Scotland and have the same problem (although probably less often).

I sorted it by adapting a suitably sized box, reinforcing the joins with sticky backed plastic,spraying it with non reflective paint and securing it in place with two rubber bands conveniently discarded by Royal Mail on the pavement outside. It's a lot cheaper than buying Sony's version and it's very effective. It's also useful when recording anywhere where you don't want bystanders to be distracted by the screen. Cost nothing and works a treat.

Default Another Blackout

Sounds like a good idea bosquoy, will definitely be giving this a go. Thanks.

This "blackout" is an issue with LCD's in sunlight . . . even ones with super-brightness cannot compete with a nuclear bomb 93m miles away. Suggestions here (tubes, boxes, etc) remove most of the problem, but I'm still looking for a solution, since I find I cannot resolve the focus - with a (film) SLR you got eyesight corrections and a lovely rangefinder and microprism for easy focus. I can't achieve that, since the LCD is only projecting the data given to it. However, I'm working (very slowly) on a scheme using one of those Book-viewing fresnel screens. However, be wary, I have bought some which are distinctly 2nd-rate - with the workable area in the centre . . .. the rest is unusable. However, it's not looking too bad, and hopefully make it a "permanent" feature.

My Sony NEX5 makes resolving this problem somewhat more difficult, as the LCD can be swung up and down which is one reason I bought it, but it means the sunscreening box will need to be shifted as well. Initial developments have been somewhat horrid. So I've put the project on hold.
    In Stills-mode you get a 10x magnified preview, although this is somewhat too much I think...it would be nice if it had a 2x enlarged view for video - to keep something in focus - when seen on the big screen.
    I did buy a "hard LCD-saver" and think this is well worth its money, yet needs strong gaffer tape to keep it in place; the moulded clips are only sufficient to locate the thing, not withstand moving it throughout its range.... which happens and you've lost the darn thing.

The answer is for cameras to have a live-feed (or Bluetooth) facility, so you can view a suitable eyescreen. This would add £ots to the cost because it becomes "Pro-gear" but it would mean I could watch from a convenient distance... then I need controls Aargh. Cost.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 06-22-2011 at 02:32 PM.