Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Post, looking For Critique

Talking First Post, looking For Critique

Hi, This is a little stop motion/live video I did with my son. I understand the basics of stop motion, so please save the technicalities of fps etc. It has been awhile since I've been in an editing mindset so I am trying to gauge where I am at overall by hearing what you, the viewers have to say. Thats what we're all here for isn't it? Thank you for your time and please feel free to check my other videos as well.

Just looking over some of the videos posted in this forum and I am really impressed by most of what I see. Looks like I have alot of work to do. Wow.

Hi, there is probably something i don't get, but I don't like your videos at all. I don't really see what story you want to tell and who you want to tell it to. Maybe, instead of looking into "technicalities", you should try to tell a story, bring some emotion to the viewer, in my view, technique should serve the purpose of telling something, showing something that the viewer may relate to, maybe just an idea, a feeling

but then again, I'm a noob here so there's probably something I don't get

sorry, I hope you don't take it the bad way.

If there is a purpose to what you have created here I'm sorry to say it is lost on me. The story of a child at play with his toys can be told well only if you first work out what it is you want to achieve and then film accordingly. Even the roughest of rough storyboards can help you gather the shots you need and steer you towards a meaningful production. Then there is the audience to be considered. Who are they? What age group? Will they get the point of your film or are you being so subtle as to disguise the plot completely? Is what you're proposing a suitable use of amateur video or would it be better handled by a professional film maker? Etc, etc.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 06-01-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Haha whoa dude. I appreciate that. I am just making art I guess, no real story to be told. I was looking more for critique on my editing and should have been more clear. I suppose you're right who is my target demographic, but I guess its just me. I didn't try to approach this with a commercial attitude to "sell" an idea or story, just me and my son making some art and having fun while we're at it. A story never crossed my mind. I appreciate the constructive criticism and will keep it in mind on my next production.
    outside the box

well, "doing art" shouldn't be an excuse, abstract art I can understand, but you're no David Lynch or Pablo Picasso here. Art has to have a message, a meaning, otherwise it's just masturbation. Art is a mean of communication, more universal than language, but it can be compared to language. The "story" doesn't mean a scenario with heroes, villains and whatnot. A video is a spectacle, a spectacle is meant to be seen by a public, again, otherwise it's closer to just masturbating on your own.

And without anything to say, it's -to me at least- not possible to comment on the editing, the editing is dictated by your message, your story, if you have nothing to begin with, there's not much to be told on the editing.

there's only 2 possibilities to me here, either it's art and I don't understand it, therefore it's "elitist" art, but then again, I can understand abstract art, it usually comes from mastery in the first place (you don't begin by doing abstract art), either it's just not good and you have to work to get better at it.

I've seen my fair share of abstract and elitist movies, the only good ones I've seen were from masters of that craft, not beginners. in order to bend the rules, you first have to know them.

but make no mistake, art is a language, a piece of art is a story, it can be a picture, a film, a musical composition, abstract, realistic, artistic, but if you have nothing to say, just putting together images doesn't make it "art"

but then again, maybe my culture is not good enough to get your movies, maybe I don't understand where you're coming from and maybe you're an accomplished film maker and I'm just an idiot. I'm genuinely considering this until some more people post, specially those whom I know are good directors/filmmakers.

Jesus Christ. you guys are really letting me have it huh? I know Im new and everything but I didnt come here for a lecture on what art is and if you get it or not. I came to ask opinions on my video and honestly the guy GeoffCee was WAY more constructive on what he had to say. No where did you even talk about the video, you just told me i was jacking off. You said it was impossible to comment on anything because you didn't get it. I see this forum is just like any other forum so I guess I'm going to have to take the heat for awhile. Thanks in advance for all of it fellas.

This guy spoke better about "art" than what you had say and he's not even serious. Thanks bra....

YouTube - ‪ART THOUGHTZ: How to Make an Art.‬‏

EDIT: Hadoq, I just saw that you were actually the first to reply to this thread. I didn't see it until just now. Thanks for your initial input. Your second reply was little putting off though.
    Last edited by Tnuts; 06-01-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnuts View Post
    I am just making art I guess, no real story to be told.
    If you take a still photograph of an object, any object, you can call it "art" and nobody can refute it. It is what it is. If the observer who sees it doesn't get it you can tell yourself that they don't have your insight. Fine, job done, you are an artist, at least you are within the confines of your own mind. The difficult trick is getting others to believe it. If you do you may be on the road to realising Andy Warhol's promise that everyone will be famous for 15 minutes.

When you use a video camera I think life becomes very much more complicated. You are no longer presenting an image representing a single moment in time, but periods of time during which things move and events happen. If one shot doesn't work with its neighbour it is obvious to everyone, you no longer can make the excuse that only you have a wide enough mind to make your shots gel together, one shot to the next, to the next, to the next, etc..

If you watch a film and afterwards can't remember seeing any structure to it - if all you have in your memory is a story well told by actors who knew their craft, that is what I consider to be movie making "art". It is worth persuing that standard when shooting video, even when your talent is your very young son playing with plastic toys. If you put something up to be critiqued it follows that you want others to see it. Thanks for doing that.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 06-01-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnuts View Post
    Jesus Christ. you guys are really letting me have it huh? I know Im new and everything but I didnt come here for a lecture on what art is and if you get it or not. I came to ask opinions on my video and honestly the guy GeoffCee was WAY more constructive on what he had to say. No where did you even talk about the video, you just told me i was jacking off. You said it was impossible to comment on anything because you didn't get it. I see this forum is just like any other forum so I guess I'm going to have to take the heat for awhile. Thanks in advance for all of it fellas.

This guy spoke better about "art" than what you had say and he's not even serious. Thanks bra....

YouTube - ‪ART THOUGHTZ: How to Make an Art.‬‏

EDIT: Hadoq, I just saw that you were actually the first to reply to this thread. I didn't see it until just now. Thanks for your initial input. Your second reply was little putting off though.

if you read what I write, I don't rule out the possibility of me missing something. obviously I don't understand what you call art, and I'd pretty much like you to explain to me what am I missing in your vids. to me, it's not art, I don't understand it, so if you or anyone else would like to take the time to actually explain to me what it is that I'm missing, I might learn something here.

what I am saying here is that, with my own culture, extensive musical knowledge, video/filming/movies enthusiast (from the most abstract thing up to the latest hollywood blockbuster), photography etc... nothing within my own cultural knowledge gave me a single hint about how to appreciate your art, and I consider my own eductation as fairly above average when it comes to culture in general. and I believe I'm also fairly open minded in general, although also very critical towards so called "abstract art" that nobody understands, which is more, to me, like masturbation as you don't really share it with anyone. But again and always, please do explain what it is that I am not getting, I'm not being sarcastic or nervous or whatever, I just want you to explain to me how to appreciate your stuff.

for example, I don't understand the way you build or make your images, there are useless stuff in the background, the TV and whatnot and I don't see their purpose. Your images are not built in any particularily aesthetic fashion, no rule of thirds and whatnot, not ever, there is no sync whatsoever with the music, and nothing within the video's content to make me keep an interest and watch more of it, I watched it twice from start to end and twice, I didn't get anything, just like if I was a 3 years old child trying to understand a $1000 bottle of Chateau Margot.

What I'm asking, as you seem absolutely positive that this is art, is for you to actually explain me what's the background behind all this, where did your ideas come from, what did you do before? where do you come from as an artist, what are your influences and mentors when it come to this particular form of art? what am I missing in order to understand your art?

When you watch the last vid I posted here, it's also fairly "abstract" and I also consider it "art", but I can tell you where it comes from, and so are other viewers (or at least they can have an idea), what movies I've seen/watched, what videos I've tried to analyze and what other arts were actually involved in me making that video.

Rather than being offended, just explain what I'm not getting instead of just telling me that I don't get it (I know that already)
    Last edited by hadoq; 06-01-2011 at 08:28 PM.

hadoq check your pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast