Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening scene from my war film

Default Opening scene from my war film

Please tell me what you think.

Very interesting. I thought it looked good apart from the blood did not look realistic. I thought it was too much. The time laps of the clouds looked really good along with the over all look of the movie. There was one other thing. I think the lack of ambient noise made it seem unreal we should have full ambient noise or no sound apart from the music. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Very interesting. I thought it looked good apart from the blood did not look realistic. I thought it was too much. The time laps of the clouds looked really good along with the over all look of the movie. There was one other thing. I think the lack of ambient noise made it seem unreal we should have full ambient noise or no sound apart from the music. Just my opinion.
    Thanks for the reply. And yes it was a bit overdone, on purpose though. And I decided to cut the sound because the wind was terrible and whenever the sniper crawled he made a ton of noise, so I just thought it would be better off without it. And by no sound apart from the music, do you mean no gunshots?

I totally understand your reasoning for dropping the sound, one solution to not recording the right sound live is to use Foley sound, ie find the right sound from somewhere else. OR record the sound separately yourself. The video in THIS THREAD has a music track and two Foley sound tracks of different wind noises that mixed together sound like they fit to the visuals.

Sound design is a real art form all in it's self. So yes, I would have had full ambient sound of no sound at all. A third option, which is the most difficult, is a stylised sound design. This might be adding sound effects to a gun shot sound or slowing it down or some other treatment to create a kind of unique or individual sound for your movie. This is often the only way for subjects like science fiction when there may be a machine that doesn't really exist and you have to make up a new sound for it.

A fourth option is more to do with sound design to emphasise a point of view or character in a movie for example. Have you ever seen a video of someone running and all you hear is the person breathing hard or may be just there footsteps. This creates an intimate feel as though you are experiencing the movie from the view point of the person running.

Remember sound is at least 50% of your movie. It is an audio & visual medium.

I hope these ideas help you to create a good sound for you movie as the visuals look very good.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 05-29-2011 at 08:41 PM.

I see. I'm guessing you recorded that sound yourself? Well done. Thank you for the advice, I like the idea of hearing only his breath or heart beat to the scene it would probably match nicely. But there is a bit of sound design in my clip, mostly the ending when the bullet is followed by the camera out of the gun. It is actually a mixture of various sounds. If I remember correctly the gun shot sound is used twice, one of which is slowed down and a wind sound for the bullet flying through the air. Punch and bullet whiz sounds for when it hits the terrorist and water splash and debris sounds for when the blood hits the screen.

I'm guessing you recorded that sound yourself?
    No not on this occasion. They are a sort of howling wind noise and a wind through the trees noise.

Punch and bullet whiz sounds for when it hits the terrorist and water splash and debris sounds for when the blood hits the screen.
    Thats exactly the sort of thing I was meaning, I'd forgotten that was there. It works well for that particular shot.

Angry Roman!

Your war film?...Lol jk man. Roman have you finished the other parts of the film bro because I'm pretty much done with the ending. We should get together and complete the film bro. Message me on Facebook dawg.

Blog Entries

Technically okay but...

There's no tension. The previous critics have hit the nail on the head, the soundtrack doesn't work. The music doesn't fit as well as it could and the action lacks believability. It looks like a bunch of kids playing at soldiers and doesn't come across as "real". As for the bullet hits... I laughed out loud when I saw them, honestly.

You've put a lot of work into this but it's the realisation which lets you down. For the music, have a listen to something like "sorrow" from the Gladiator soundtrack and tone down the effects. It would have been better without any bullet effects at all, certainly much more realistic.

Good start. Definitely work on the blood effects and gun sounds. Also, your actors don't sell the part as well as they should. It looks like a bunch of kids shooting a video for class, you know? But you're on the right track. These things can be fixed fairly simply.
    Last edited by VidFace; 07-12-2011 at 03:01 PM.

reminded me of a abstract video game, maybe that how many see war today
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast