Thread: Shadows have a green hue

Default Shadows have a green hue

Hi all. I'm very new here, so I hope I've got the right place. It does say 'shooting'.

I've shot some exercise videos under Interfit constant photo lamps. All other lights in the room were turned off. The shadows look green. See photo:

I'm using a Panasonic AG-HMC41E.

Am I wrong to trust auto white balance under these conditions?

Normally the auto white balance on modern cameras are very good. If you don't like what the camera is producing it's easy to do a manual white balance or if you can't/don't want to re shoot a quick tweak in post will deal with it. Looking at you picture it doesn't look to bad just a bit over exposed.

I don't know what the colour temperature of the lights you are using but personally I would set the lighting up then do a manual white balance. If the lighting changes you will need to do another white balance.

If your not sure about it here's a video that explains how to do it.

Default Thanks!

That's really helpful. And I've signed up to the Panasonic YouTube channel.

Got another session next week, so will adjust WB and exposure and see how it goes. I set the iris to manual because 'auto' was turning the white wall grey. I think I over cooked it!

I suspect that wall isn't white, or grey, but tending to green.
    Check too any other colours, ceiling, facing walls etc.
    In Extremis, the subject will influence the colour - our eyes adjust automatically and our brain dismisses it.
    Sadly, eyes are (esp if Male) rather poor at judging colour and shades in particular. The eye adjusts so we aren't confused. With photofloods (still using them?) you have a known colour source, provided the voltage is correct. but I'd suggest 1) move subject away from the wall, so shadows are off-frame and out-of-focus. I see some other shadows, so wonder if there isn't other light-source. Most cameras will have a "Tungsten" setting, you could go for that as a 1st step.

You really need to give us a shot of the room+lighting set-up...ie from way back. Then we may be able to spot the error source.
    ++Bear in mind that cameras are only a tool . . . they are not perfect image makers.

- - - That WB video didn't play, for me.- - - -
    However to set WB it's best to use a grey card (there's an issue - what is true-grey? )in front of the lens. ie where the Subjects will be, that is the lighting condition you are balancing for. Adjust the WB, set exposure (again a grey card is useful, since white may force the camera to readjust exposure, ) Set exposure manually.
    Now whenever the subject is in that area, the WB and Exposure should be spot-on AND consistent.
    It's tempting to rely on Auto, but it's not always best. Try a mixture until you have the hang on Manual, it doesn't hurt to have a "spare" take.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 06-03-2011 at 04:14 PM.