Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windy Day

Default Windy Day

It was a bit windy the other day, so I went out into the Garden to see how solid my tripod was, I think it passed.

A nice man called Lee Huff wrote the music ( not specifically for this video) and gave me permission to use it. He can be found at leehuff.com if anyone wants music for there videos, he has quite a selection and I'm sure if you ask him he would be fine with that.

Here's the video I shot.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 05-26-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Nice vid, the music is lovely, i have a couple of niggles though.

The sound of the wind (especially at 25secs)
    I would keep that audio either continuos without cutting it with the transition and make a point that it is deliberate or can it all together. It comes across as very amateurish otherwise.

visually, some of the framing feels a little off, with too much sky.
    ie, 0:57, 1:02, 1:35.
    It as if your not sure wether the focus should be on the trees or the sky, and in all honesty, I liken those shots to those of people in hurricane areas with little camcorders filming the wind from their porch.You should be deliberate and a little sterner with your framing in this case anyway.
    I can understand that you might have wanted to have the moving clouds with the swaying trees but don't think these shots demonstrate it well Don't try and film two elements together and let them dictate your framing, compose your framing dominantly on one thing and let the other creep in.

Perhaps some focus pulls from close up leaves and branches to the sky would have achieved this a little better as well?

Anyway, Love the focus pulls though and the visuals of the wind picking up with the music.
    nice.

Thanks for watching Fuzzy, I wondered about leaving the wind sound during the fade to black and fell on the side of fading it. I think if the weather had been worse I would have made more of a feature of it. I suppose it's one of those toss a coin type of decisions. I've just watched it back and may be you are right, I should have kept it in. I understand what you mean about the framing. I need to frame on the one thing at a time. I don't have a lot of experience framing very long shots/landscapes, so it's good to get this kind of advice.

It's really helpful to get other peoples views. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

I liked it overall but agree with the audio point. I think it's the crash back in with the sound that makes it worse - if it was faded in slowly I think it'd be ok to have it gone during the fade.

Just another personal point but I thought the cuts were a little too harsh too - some element of cross fade would be my preference but that's just me. (Unless Vimeo was jumping it down my wireless line that is)

Nice job though....

Looks like I'm going to have to change the sound.

I did have some fades towards the end but took some out as I thought it looked a bit soppy. It's so interesting for me to hear other peoples views and how one thing to me looks great but once it's pointed out that it's maybe not so great, I see it.

I don't know if you have ever heard about adding love when cooking and how it can make a difference to the meal, well, I always try and add love to the videos I do. May be that's why I don't always see the obvious, I'm looking through the eyes of love.

Thanks for watching Andy.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 05-26-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Audio aside, I think this shows how much you've come on. The music helped big time, of course, but I thought the whole thing looked very good indeed. I loved the colours and the fact you locked down the camera and let the movement in the scenes speak for itself.

Having read fuzzymuffin's comments before watching I was looking out for the framing issues and found a couple. However they were not at the places she pointed out - indeed those places didn't jump out at me, though analysing after the event I can see what she was getting at.
    My issues with framing was the opening shot - the foreground (which you bring in with a nice pull focus - is that just using the stock lens?) sits a little high forcing you to place the title (subtle bump map? - sure looks good) rather high. The other odd framings I noticed were at 0:10 where It looked like the screen was split in half horizontally (it's not, but on first look it appeared it to me) and at 0:50 where the screen is split in half verically.

Still who am I to talk. I travelled over a hundred miles to the West Country last week to get an interview. To balance shots I already had, I was sitting on the opposite side of the camera to the LCD. Having settled the interviewee, I set up the shot nicely with him on screen left and a drawing board and drawing on the right and chatted away. It wasn't until I captured the footage that I noticed he'd sunk a good six inches in his chair such that his eyeline is halfway down the screen. It looks dreadful! And it's standard def so a crop is likely to soften it too much. Such is life.
    Tim

Re: your trip to the West Country, Doh.

I was going to use a different shot for the titles because of that but I thought it's good to get a focus pull in near the beginning to look flash. Looking at it now I could lower the title a bit. (It is the stock lens). I hadn't even noticed the vertical 50/50 split at 50 seconds. It does look odd and I have a ton of footage I can replace it with. I did two days worth of shooting or should I say two early evenings. Like I said to Fuzzy I tend not to do long/landscape shots so it's good to get this sort of feed back as to where I need to improve.

I'm glad you like the colouring, this is a weak point in editing for me which I struggle with to get it to look "modern" because of my silly organic filming views. ie What ever comes out of the camera shouldn't have addictives. I did a little contrast work but no colour correction. I'm lucky the camera is very forgiving.

I'm surprised no one has commented about the cloud shot at 40 secs. I had to build a 2000 foot tripod to get that shot.

Anyway, thanks for watching Tim and your comments are always helpful.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 05-26-2011 at 11:32 PM.

I uploaded a new version. I hope it's better.

im glad someone is making the best of this seemingly endless wind !!! ive a new camera im itching to play with but the crap weather says no :-(

really enjoyed your film MB, only crit i have is some of the shots appear a bit samey.

Blog Entries

Really like this, Midnight.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast