Thread: Critical Foundations - WWII Airfields

1. Default Critical Foundations - WWII Airfields

Inspired by airfield history and the "haunting" appearance of abandoned airfields, this video compiles a brief sampling of the empty airfields across the UK landscape. The images are blended with archival photos and video from the WWII period featuring the major aircraft that occupied these airfields. My small way of remembering and preserving historical heritage for future generations.

excellent ! really enjoyed that. only thing missing for me was a voice over.

3. Default

Thanks for the comments! Voice over ........ hadn't thought of that! Will definitely keep that as a possibility for my next video!

What you have produced is interesting and important BUT I feel it's only half done. Something like this needs to have a human iterface/presenter walking around the old buildings saying things like "Here is the old control tower where on 17th May, 1943, they counted out 19 plains of 617 Squadron. Only 8 of the 19 returned". Or something like that. I think it would bring the whole thing together and make it from being "interesting" to something very special. Only other thing was that some of the titles where a bit too quick for my slow mind to read.

Well done

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What you have produced is interesting and important BUT I feel it's only half done. Something like this needs to have a human iterface/presenter walking around the old buildings saying things like "Here is the old control tower where on 17th May, 1943, they counted out 19 plains of 617 Squadron. Only 8 of the 19 returned". Or something like that. I think it would bring the whole thing together and make it from being "interesting" to something very special. Only other thing was that some of the titles where a bit too quick for my slow mind to read.

Well done
    Thanks Midnight Blue. Points well taken and a human presence/voice would increase the dimension of the video. Being in Canada, I certainly wouldn't be able to be on site, but I am sure with some voice over it would carry more of a documentary feel.

Oh, I did enjoy watching this! I appreciated very much the nostalgic viewpoints through the broken, empty window frames and the dark, heavy sepia treatment of some of your material. The montages of aircraft superimposed over airfield buildings was hauntingly effective. Ghostly pilots flying ghostly planes. It's not your fault that Satie's Gymnopedie No.1 has connotations in my mind to another film, not war related this time but featuring instead the glorious English countryside in summer, but I hasten to add that its refrain complimented your production to perfection. I'm so glad that you made your film available.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Oh, I did enjoy watching this! I appreciated very much the nostalgic viewpoints through the broken, empty window frames and the dark, heavy sepia treatment of some of your material. The montages of aircraft superimposed over airfield buildings was hauntingly effective. Ghostly pilots flying ghostly planes. It's not your fault that Satie's Gymnopedie No.1 has connotations in my mind to another film, not war related this time but featuring instead the glorious English countryside in summer, but I hasten to add that its refrain complimented your production to perfection. I'm so glad that you made your film available.
    Thanks for the comments and especially glad you enjoyed the music. This piece by Erik Satie is probably the most relaxing and soothing composition that I have heard. The version used is not a true piano works but incorporates some synthesized additions with a slightly faster tempo than the original. I felt that the version used added just the right amount of depth in contrast to piano alone. Good to know that the selection can override previous associations with other films, because the original associations are hard to break.