Thread: Adding subtitles to a video - any programs out there?

1. Default Adding subtitles to a video - any programs out there?

I have been using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9, and am looking to add subtitles to a short video I have.

The only way in Vegas to do it is to create on the track above the video for each scene.

I know programs like Premier and Final Cut do this, but is there any free program out there that will text a subtitle "text" file and import it and fit it to the video.
    I've never created a subtitle file before, but I guess its a straight text file with In-Time, Out-Time, Text entries?

Thanks,

By Subtitles I presume you mean ...like in a different language, so folks can follow the plot....?
    For very little money, upgrade to Sony Vegas 10, if 9 doesn't do it.
    In 10,
    Certainly you can add many extra tracks, so place a checkerboard text-media to the appropriate frames, being careful to push the text to the bottom. (You know all this, surely)...
    The only issue I see is that if you have black text, it fails whenever the vid goes dark, so you may need to place under the Text (but above the other media) a picture with only the lower edge white, the rest being transparent. . . . surely that will cover it? . . . . . . . Hope that helps.
    PS a better white frame might be a broadbrush. If you make several, they can be mixed-up to keep the viewer alert to changes in the text.