Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to editing haven't a clue, help!

Default New to editing haven't a clue, help!

Hi, im going to be shooting a movie in 2month's, with the red1 camera, i will be capturing the sound separately.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? i will be editing it on pc, need some software that allows me to edit separate sound as well with the film, im due to buy new pc but can't break the bank was thinking about getting this HP

Here's a little bit about it
    The latest AMD Phenom II X6 1045T processor for outstanding performance
    6GB memory for top system performance & running multiple applications
    1 TB hard drive for storing all of your digital files
    The latest ATI Radeon™ HD 6570 for gaming and 3D applications
    Wireless keyboard and mouse, HP Media Center remote
    Create silkscreen-quality disc labels with LightScribe, watch movies and more with the Double Layer DVD RAM writer
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, as you cant tell i haven't got a clue.

Also i'd just like to add, i wont be adding any special effects are anything like that, so something quite basic, which allows me to cut one scene to another and add sound in which has been recorded seprately, and credits, thanks.

Not sure about that PC as it is. What about sound monitoring, I would have at least one other 1Tb HD. Edit with the program and media on different HD's. I use Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Premier Pro is also popular I don't know if it can take 4k but would have thought so. Will you be out putting it onto BluRay disk or standard DVD you need the right equipment for this. If you are shooting with a Red 1 then I would assume you want it full HD on a BluRay disk.

Thanks for the reply Midnight Blue, Im thinking about purchasing a macbook pro this is the one,

MacBook Pro 15inch 2.66GHz (Intel Core i7, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB, SD card slot, Intel HD Graphics

And then getting adobe cs5 premier pro, i would just pay monthly for it, would this do the job?

If your getting a Mac I would have thought Final Cut Pro would be the best software to go for but I have never used a Mac so I'm just guessing.

Hi, the reason i was gonna get the adobe cs5 premier is because i can just pay monthly, do you know if the macbook pro will be able to handle this, and after doing more research im thinking about shooting with the sony hdr vx1, i think the editing side of things is looking pretty expensive, i originally was having nothing to do with the editing side of it, my friend was taking care of that department but he's bailed to ireland, with new lady friend lol!

If you are serious about Editing, you will have to get a second monitor, to allow you to view the Preview Screen and the fiddly bits "the timeline" - since there really isn't room to display both (presuming you need to check the quality etc.). It might be an idea to beg/borrow a camcorder and try yr hand at editing something similar to the shoot you anticipate.
    That way you can make/overcome those "silly mistakes" which no-one needs to see.
    I suggest you need a minimum of 20 hours on an Editor before you have anything like enough "skill" - otherwise - why not employ an Editor (someone you know), so the final is worthy of the investment in time and effort...?
    Sound separate, did I read . . . grief, this gets worse . . . employ a sound-man to be sure.... Then, the Editor will earn their keep.

Thank's for the reply's im gonna shoot and record sound together, im gonna study these forum's like im taking an exam lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Not sure about that PC as it is. What about sound monitoring, I would have at least one other 1Tb HD. Edit with the program and media on different HD's. I use Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Premier Pro is also popular I don't know if it can take 4k but would have thought so. Will you be out putting it onto BluRay disk or standard DVD you need the right equipment for this. If you are shooting with a Red 1 then I would assume you want it full HD on a BluRay disk.
    Hi Midnight Blue, when you say i will need the right equipment for putting it onto dvd, after ive finished editing, can you tell me what i need exactly as ive read so many different things, thanks.

Like I said in my post if you want to put the finished video on to a Bluray disk then you need a Bluray disk burner, if you are down scaling it to standard definition from high definition then a normal DVD burner will be fine for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast