Thread: Problem connecting a Canon Xl1s to an LCD TV please Help@!

Default Problem connecting a Canon Xl1s to an LCD TV please Help@!

Ok so my problem is with a SAKA CT-V501N 5" TFT LCD Color TV and my xl1s Canon Camcorder. I have looked everywhere online for resources on this tv and nothing comes up. So my question and problem is this:

The LCD TV has a USB like port for video and Audio Input. I have a cable that came with it when i bought it online on ebay...(even the owner doesn't know he just threw this in the deal at the end.)

The cable is a usb like connection on one end and the other end goes to a RCA Male (red, white, And yellow) connection. I am trying to connect from my Canon xl1s RCA outputs into the USB like connection on the LCD TV. I do hear audio when connecting so i know somethings working but there is no video at all. So i think the video portion of the cable is bad.

MY QUESTION IS ...Does anybody know what this cable is called? I've been trying to look online for it and nothing really lookes quite like the one I have. Also, WHERE DO I PURCHASE ONE?? MAYBE A LINK OR SOMETHING IF YOU WOULD BE SO KIND, im really trying to figure this one out but it lookes like I'm gonna need your help on this one so please help if you can....thanks!!!

Ok, first things first.

Apart from the cable, how can you get video into the screen?

The owner "threw it in the deal at the end"? Why? Is it necessary? If so, then it sounds dodgy. If not, then what are you meant to do without it?

Is this the one maplin used to sell that takes 10AA batteries? Doesn't it weigh a ton?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Default LCD TV

Apart from the cable I get video into the tv by connecting a power supply or battery pack and putting the AV/TV settings to TV. Then using the antenna all the way out i change channels and adjust volume and the tv works fine. But when I use the AV setting like AV 1 or AV 2 i only hear audio coming from my connnetion with the cable from its source and no video. Which is usually connected to my camera but now I'm just trying it from another tv's output.

And about the "owner throwing it in at the end of the deal" that meant that he threw in the tv and the cable at the last minute when I bought the camera. He said he didn't have much use for it so he was adding that in there. Yet he doesn't know exactly how to use it or if it worked. So I am finding out that it works its just that the video portion of the cable is bad. Which is why I need to find out where I can get this cable that i have been looking everywhere for.

Also I don't know if maplin made this tv but it does use a battery pack that uses 10 AA batteries. And when connected to the battery pack it does weigh a ton but I was going to attach it to my tripod. That is if I get it to work ... :( .

Well Thanks For your quick responce I hope you can help!!!??

can you use a multimeter to test the cable? I'm assuming here that the cable is a straight wired cable, with no electronics inside the cable itself.

It could be that you can rip the cable to bits and re-wire another pretty easily.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;

Well, I finally got the thing to work!!! Its awsome

Thanks to mrlipring!

I did what you told me and checked it on a multimeter and riped it to bits and fixed the cable the right way.

Well Thanks for the help...!!!

No probs. If it doesn't work, tear it to bits!
    xBox - standard;
    iRiver h340;