Thread: Working with different resolution video

Default Working with different resolution video

I'm working on a project that has a few people involved. We're assembling the project in sony vegas. I've done a few test renders, and put them on youtube in HD widescreen format. However I am noticing an issue with some of the videos files used by the team with different resolutions.

One person filmed in 1920 x 1080, while another persons resolution is some werid value like 1904 x 1134.

When I add the 1904 x 1134 clips into Vegas, and play them, the black bars are visible on those videos, but not the clips imported that used the 1920 x 1080 resolution.

SUGGESTIONS? What technique, or tutorial do I need to research to better work around this issue?

One option is to separate each clip and use the "Pan/Crop" tool to resize the offending clips, so they all fit the same format.
    This will mean some clips will be slightly cropped, but if most of the action is clear of the frame edges... it should not be a problem.

Hope this is some help, i am sure others with more knowledge of Vegas will come up with other options.

Blog Entries

Personally I'd use Track Motion - you don't have to apply Pan Crop to each clip then - just apply it to the track and voila. If you're only exporting low res to you tube, I'd be more inclined to scale down the 1920 track to match the other rather scale up the smaller and lose definition....

Thank you, both of those methods worked for me and I learned something too.

I also discovered this, open Pan/Crop on each of these clips, right-click and select "Match Output Aspect".
    Last edited by itgl72; 05-19-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itgl72 View Post

I also discovered this, open Pan/Crop on each of these clips, right-click and select "Match Output Aspect".
    Excellent - nosing around you often find things like that - but I'd still scale down rather than up.

This is an interesting point Andy. I presume he will eventually render the footage to 1080 anyway. I'm curious to know what sort of camera shoots at the 1904 x 1134 resolution.

Not a camera, it was in-game footage. Which was something new to me. We are piecing together a presentation on a piece of software, and using capture software, this individuales monitor resolution was 1904 x 1134.

Quote Originally Posted by itgl72 View Post

Don't forget, you can do this to the first clip in Pan/Crop, then copy the first clip, right click 'select events to end' then paste to the whole track. Pan/Crop holds resolution better than track motion.