Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: De-interlacing, please give me a chance!

Default De-interlacing, please give me a chance!

Hi

Before you tell me to search for de-interlace in the forums I already have and im still a bit confused. Im not sure how complicated my problem is but ill give as much information of my situation as possible so you can help.

I have used Powerproducer Gold 2 to capture some old home videos from VHS. The videos were taken with a video camera when I was living in Canada in the late 80's (NTSC i think?). I captured the video through my Geforce FX5600's composite TV-in port, recording in HQ mode, LPCM audio, and chose South Africa (Pal-I) as the destination the video will be played. That is because I know live in South Africa.

Anyway, the video comes out very clear on my computer, no horizontal lines when viewing, which is fine. But when I use powerdvd to burn the video files onto a DVD for use in TV DVD player, the video has quite bad horizontal lines with movement and crystal quality otherwise. I am quite confused because the guides and posts I have read all seem to say the lines are caused because you are playing an interlaced video on a non-interlaced monitor and that the problem will go away when you watch the video on TV.

My problem is the reverse, the video looks good on my pc but has lines on TV. What is happening, has powerproducer deinterlaced the video when I recorded it and that has caused the lines when played through TV? How can I fix this, must I record the video again? I also have virtualdub installed but I cant open the files I recorded to PC, i think i need to install a DV codec.

I know this topic comes up a lot but some help would be much appreciated! Please dont tell me to search forums! Please Please!

Default More info

Hey

Just realised that the video camera and machine used were both South African (therefore PAL) so all my video are in PAL. Dunno if that makes any difference

Thanks

Blog Entries

It could well be an issue with changing the frame rate from NTSC to PAL. First off, can you view the video direct on your TV from the camcorder? If you can, then it's NTSC compatible and you should capture, edit and output in NTSC.

Unfortunetly I cant try view video directly from camcorder as the camcorder is broken and all the tapes are on VHS :(

Also I would prefer to output in PAL, as I live in South Africa and I want to be able to watch the stuff here!

As I said in second post, I think all my video is actually in PAL-I, as the camera was bought in South Africa. :

This stuff is really confusing me, too many variables involved with video! Are there any other possible causes of the problem other than NTSC to PAL, as it may actually be PAL already. Has interlacing got nothing to do with it? Also the camcorder is analog, and so are the VHS, dunno if that makes difference...

can u upload a little sample...?

Sure, the problem is that it is quite big, 4gigs an hour, but i will attach my VCR this weekend and take a short clip to upload.

Keep in mind that you prob wont notice a problem when you view it on pc, i only have problems when watching it on the tv.

Ok, heres a sample. Its 4.5megs and 4 seconds. Its from the same VHS that I recorded and then burnt to DVD and was giving problems with the lines. I used the same settings as before when capturing. Got a good amount of motion to see the problem!

The bigger kid is me 15 years ago! Haha, no laughing.
    I dont notice any problem when viewing on my pc, only notice really bad lines when viewing on the TV!

that hasn't attached properly. :(
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Here we go again, hope this works, not much fun with my 56k dialup!

Another 30 minutes wasted, it didn't work. :(

If you want to email it to me, mrlipring @ G mail . com i'll attach it, or host it, or something.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast