I'm looking to get my first camcorder ahead of our new arrival (he's due mid-August, but I want time to play with it and get the hang of it first). I have a budget in mind of 300-400 and a few things I would like from the camcorder. I have seen 3 models that fit the bill and get decent Amazon reviews (for what they're worth - but you've got to start somewhere!)

I'd appreciate any advice/comments on these (i.e. which do I get), or maybe point out another better model that I haven't considered?

The 3 I'm currently thinking about are:

Canon LEGRIA HF R16 High Definition Digital Camcorder: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Panasonic TM55 Full HD Camcorder With 8GB Inbuilt: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sony HDRCX115EB High Definition Handycam Camcorder: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Or maybe this one (bit over budget but it's got 120Gb HDD bult in)

Panasonic HS80 Full HD Camcorder - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Obviously, I want the camcorder to be HD and widescreen (seems pretty standard though in this price bracket). Other things that are important are a decent battery life (although I don't mind getting an extended battery if that's the only thing letting down an otherwise excellent camera), and a decent internal memory. SD cards for 'sharing' may be handy but I intend to use the internal memory as the workhorse.

Which brings me on to a particular question - what are the different types of internal memory - do I really need a built in HDD? What might I expect as the likely recording time in full HD using the internal memory (I suspect the tech specs quote recording time in low def)?

Any help greatly appreciated.