Thread: Interview video, how is my technique

Default Interview video, how is my technique

Hello I am an amateur video producer and painting contractor. I would like feedback to improve my videos. In this video I have asked a paint dealer to discuss a wood conditioner. I have made the video brief ...feedbacks pls.
    specs GF1 pancake and premeire cs5

Blog Entries

Not a bad effort. Several things do jump out though. Your camera stuggles to autofocus - perhaps the lack of tripod and the wobblish shots dont help. So. Get a tripod - manual focus if you can. Next - when you want to show for instance the effect on the wood, do those shots after and then cut them back in instead of hosing around with the camera. This alone will make it look alot more professional. Sound wise, the first interviewee was alot quieter than the second - I'm pretty sure you're using the on board mic on the camera. If you can afford one and your camera has a socket for one - get an external mic and place a lot closer to the subject.

Having said all that - I've seen an awful lot of attempts that are far worse than this. At least you're having a go - it's really only a few things that really need addressing in this one.

Not really much to add to what Andy has already said. May be it would have been better if the guy wasn't talking in the background when you are filming the lady.

Agree with all of Andy's suggestions - the graphics used were not really appropriate nor did they seem to fit the look and feel behind the story/brand.

Blog Entries

Firstly, and most importantly, I'm with Andy: this is not a bad effort for starters. But it could be made much better with a bit of practice and not too much effort. I won't repeat what's already been said, but will add just add one thing.

In the first interview the interviewee was looking at the interviewer, in the second, directly at the camera (or at the audience). Both techniques are fine, but the second requires someone who is comfortable presenting to teh camera - as this lady clearly was. I'm not sure about mixing the styles though (unless you're doing presente/interviewer to camera and interviewee(s) looking at interviewer.

However, whichever way you go, try to get the camera at the same height as the interviewee/presenter's eyes. The lady looked a little bit down on us (perhaps no bad thing if you want to give her a bit of authority, but be careful of making her "superior") but the mle inteviewee was looking way above the camera. Place the camera at interviewee's eye level, position yourself so your eyes are slightly to the side of the camera and at the same height as the lens and het the inteviewee to talk to you - this will look a lot more natural.

Edit: Just watched again. Does the lady shake her boobs at us in her very first appearance? That can work

Edit2: Very important to get your spellings/grammar etc correct in titles and captions. New Growth wood (does growth really require a capital?) and Benite (same sentece) is a proper name and definietly DOES require capitalising.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 05-20-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ..Does the lady shake her boobs at us in her very first appearance?.
    She absolutely does.... Thanks for the heads up Tim - i hadn't spotted that one... (by the way, sentence has two n's in it).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    (by the way, sentence has two n's in it).
    So it's lucky I wasn't using it in a title or a caption, then, isn't it
    Tim