Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVID/Pinnacle merger

Default AVID/Pinnacle merger

For those considering Pinnacle Studio or Edition be aware that it looks as though AVID will be acquiring Pinnacle in the mid-to-late summer this year (subject to SEC rules and acceptance).

You should follow this and any official announcements at the Pinnacle web site forums.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Lloyd! We've missed you on the forums!!!

This is true. There's been no real input about Liquid Edition (plus other related stuff) since you last visited.

Come on in - the water's fine.

Lloyd:

So what do you feel this will do for the Pinnacle user if I may ask. : I know I will be following closely as I was already looking into possible upgrade in the next year.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Latest official information from Avid.

Snippet from the full release which can be viewed here:

http://www.avid.com/company/releases...acle_corp.html

With the integration process underway, Pinnacle's broadcast offerings – including the Deko® on-air graphics system and the MediaStream™ playout server – will be integrated into the Avid Video division, which will remain headquartered in Tewksbury , Massachusetts . Avid will also continue to develop the Pinnacle Liquid™ family, leveraging it across products and markets served by both the Avid Video and Consumer divisions.

The new Consumer division, which will retain the Pinnacle Systems name and be headquartered in Mountain View , California , will house Pinnacle's consumer products, including Pinnacle Studio™ and other TV viewing products. Jeff Hastings , former chief operating officer of M-Audio, which Avid acquired in August of 2004, will assume the position of vice president and general manager of the new Pinnacle Systems division. Prior to his time at M-Audio, Hastings held a range of executive positions at consumer technology companies, including Rio Audio, where he served as president, as well as Sonic Blue and ReplayTV.
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Avids a pain in the arse (if you dont mind me saying)

Firstly they allready have about 4 other companies that they have bought eg digidesign and soft image. Secondly there software is very expensive and thirdly there software is not intuitive in any way! (Ive tried the free version! Didnt get to far!)

I read somewhere that it looks like the liquid users are going to loose out the most. As you allredy know avid only want the decent stuff in liquid and a few comsumer products that they can slap a few hundred pounds on!

You may have guessed that I'm a tiny bit angry about it (being a liquid user) especially as liquid has only been out a year! Will pinnacle still produce updates and service packs for us? What do other liqiud users plan do to? Get final cut pro?

Nick
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

Nick, not sure it's all doom and gloom just yet. While I wish Avid hadn't acquired Pinnacle you only have to look at Pinnacle's annual results to realise that they wouldn't have lasted much longer.

What we have to do is see how Avid play it. It says in the release that they intend to continue developing the Liquid line. So that's encouraging at least for now. I feel we shall no more in just the next few months. If I hear anything then I will post in this thread.
    Lloyd

Ok thanks very much. I think liquids the best editing product around at the moment and I think any company would be stupid to get rid.

Nick
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

I too think Liquid is an awesome (and often greatly underestimated) editing suite. The fact it competes heavily with AVID Xpress Pro costing several hundreds more is testimony to that.

Whatever happens the features which make Liquid so great will almost certainly work their way into the AVID range I suspect.
    Lloyd

I agree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast