Thread: After Effects - Motion Tracking tutorial

Default After Effects - Motion Tracking tutorial

I received a few email, from people asking me to put up a tutorial, which goes a little into depth with the Device, which we use in the Protocol shorts. Well as you can see I pulled myself together and made my first tutorial . I hope you like it and f you do, subscribe and hit me up with your suggestions on a new tutorial.

I watched this and I don't want to take anything away from what you've done, the results look great. But in relation to the tutorial, I can follow as I already know what your doing, but I have a feeling that someone who doesn't wouldn't be able to follow, I don't think it's very well explained.

Maybe someone with just a little after effects knowlege (at the very least new to motion tracking) would be able to offer you more accurate feed back on this issue.

David.

Hey man,

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah I agree, a few friends already told me the same thing. Itīs my first one so I think I have to find the balance and especially keep in mind that the tutorial is for people who DONT know how it works... I think I forgot that while doing it a bit .

Grz

Quote Originally Posted by Hakan Zscherpe View Post
    Hey man,

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah I agree, a few friends already told me the same thing. Itīs my first one so I think I have to find the balance and especially keep in mind that the tutorial is for people who DONT know how it works... I think I forgot that while doing it a bit .

Grz

From a newbie here, that was my impression as well. However, it was a really good tutorial.

I managed to follow it ok but as with David I do know After Effects so someone without any knowledge probably would struggle. I think one problem was that you are showing people how to do it on a complete project, I find with tutorials I follow them better if we are initially shown the project and what we are trying to achieve at the beginning, and then walked through it on a blank project so that it is easier to follow. Good job though.

I think I am probably an example of your sample audience. I have 'played' with this effect in AE; but am far from understanding it all. I don't want to appear rude, afterall it is not easy to create a 6 minute tutorial on any subject. But - there are some issues which I strongly recommend you consider before creating another 'tutorial'.

1. Don't try to make up the words as you go along. Most of what you said was off the point and the timings of the words and the visuals made the procedures more confusing.
    2. Listen again to your audio. Count the number of "ummms" and "aahs" and other annoying non-verbal sounds. They waste time and simply add to the confusion.
    3. Can you include some better closeups of the screen, in particular something to make the AE tracking controls easier to see?
    4. Consider the timing of the text. Is it better to explain what is just about to occur, or is it better to display the result and then have to backtrack on the explanation?
    5. Watch more 'tutorials' made by more experienced producers. I recall seeing good examples at 'lynda.com' and 'creative cow'.
    6. Consider how long the tutorial lasts. It is possible that a viewer could have read the relevant pages in the helpfile faster.
    7. The clip demonstrate that you know how to use the effect, but fails to pass that knowledge on clearly.
    I am sorry if I appear unfairly critical. I have tried doing such things in the past - and know how difficult it can be to produce a helpful guide (or 'tutorial'). Congratulations on being brave enough to try it.