Thread: European YoYo Meeting in Barcelone

Default European YoYo Meeting in Barcelone

Hi, so I've done this serie of videos covering the European YoYo Meeting two weeks ago in Barcelone.

this is the introduction, 1st version, I've reworked it but didn't have the time to upload it yet.

This is the first part, actually my least favorite part, but there are some moments that I like in it

the 2nd part, my favorite part, I find the rythm to be better in this one

anyway, let me know what you think

If I was a moderator I might say only one video per thread but as it's a all the same video 3 times I'm not sure if that counts and I'm not a moderator an way. Seriously, I like the opening with the music it gave a great flavour of the atmosphere of the event. I have to admit it's a bit to much yo-yoing for me but if you are a fan of yo-yos it stands out as a well shot yo-yo video.

Blog Entries

I don't think there's a problem with parts the second two being in the same thread - they are two parts of teh same film and the first is virtually part one - so there's no real confusion.

This is quite a big improvement over your earlier work. Even though Yo-Yoing has to take centre stage - and the tricks require mid-shots to get them all in - you've managed o get a much greater variety of shots of the the tricks and people doing them and you've interspersed this with a colourful selection of shots of people and places. This helps tremendously to add to the atmosphere.

I did find some of the handheld shots a bit too handheld - those of the yoyoists were more stable and it's reasonable that these are handheld. Shots of scenery handheld don't work for me - they look far worse when I'm viewing on full screen - eg the shot from around 40 seconds - nice idea - it follows a lone yoyoist into a crowd and tilts up to a very nice wide shot, but it was all just a bit to wobbly for me on full screen.
    However, that may just be me.
    Another thing which may just be me was the heavily vignetted shots. I didn't see any purpose in this.
    My final negative is you need to make sure your lens is very clean - especially f you are going to be shooting into the sun.

So let's finish with some more positives. I thought we had a great selection of music - light and lively and in different styles.
    I also liked the speeded up sequences.

All in all I thought this was a really good effort and the two things I've criticised most are perhaps a personal taste issue rather than real faults.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I don't think there's a problem with parts the second two being in the same thread - they are two parts of teh same film and the first is virtually part one - so there's no real confusion.

indeed, the plan was to actually make it as one full video, but i never got around the post prod thing, I need to work on that, filters, effects, titling etc... So the vid was released as some sort of "viral" internet thing in order to create some kind of "buzz"

This is quite a big improvement over your earlier work. Even though Yo-Yoing has to take centre stage - and the tricks require mid-shots to get them all in - you've managed o get a much greater variety of shots of the the tricks and people doing them and you've interspersed this with a colourful selection of shots of people and places. This helps tremendously to add to the atmosphere.

This is what I was going for, so thank you. I wanted to catch more of the meeting feel because truly, yoyoing is less about playing with a yoyo than it is about meeting nice people in nice places.

I did find some of the handheld shots a bit too handheld - those of the yoyoists were more stable and it's reasonable that these are handheld. Shots of scenery handheld don't work for me - they look far worse when I'm viewing on full screen - eg the shot from around 40 seconds - nice idea - it follows a lone yoyoist into a crowd and tilts up to a very nice wide shot, but it was all just a bit to wobbly for me on full screen.
    However, that may just be me.
    Another thing which may just be me was the heavily vignetted shots. I didn't see any purpose in this.
    My final negative is you need to make sure your lens is very clean - especially f you are going to be shooting into the sun.

Yes, I totally agree, I had technical limitations, some of which were my fault (forgot my tripod at home) some of which were kinda "side effects", like the vignetted shots, due to that "fisheye" thingy I added to my lense, it's some cheap fisheye extension but I couldn't or wouldn't go for Canon's 200 euros one. About the cleaning of the lense, I admit this is a recurring issue with me, I usually move quite a lot with my gear and I usually only have seconds to get the shots I want before they're gone forever, I wish I could have more options to plan shots ahead but this time I didn't get around doing it. But then I guess it leaves much room for improvement, at least I know what I have to work on.

So let's finish with some more positives. I thought we had a great selection of music - light and lively and in different styles.
    I also liked the speeded up sequences.

Music is primordial to me, I'm a musician/composer to begin with and I have a very large collection of music in many many styles, I can spend hours to find the music I want to use on my videos, even to the point where I actually have to postpone my editing due to the amount of time spent picking the right track. So I'm glad it has been noticed. About the speeded up sequences, I kinda like them too, they come in handy when playing with the music and the timing and they add something to the video that I really like, there's always a sense of precipitation during yoyo meetings, due to many activities, so I hope this contributes to show this particular aspect.

All in all I thought this was a really good effort and the two things I've criticised most are perhaps a personal taste issue rather than real faults.
    I think the criticism you did were maybe based on personal taste, but I think it also comes from your experience and as I'm still a baby in this activity, I'm open to any kind of constructive criticism because it'll make me better and save me some time figuring things on my own. That's basically why I'm here for in the first place.

For those (most?) of you in the UK, there is a pretty big yoyo scene there and I'm convinced that yoyoing is a great activity to film, maybe you should get together with some players (the community uses facebook a lot to set meetings up, but there are also some forums, look for "yoyoz" and "throwyoyo" on google. I'd love to see experienced video enthusiasts have a go at it. we do have some good videos every now and then, but mostly from people who already are into yoyoing themselves so they might have a biased approach.