Thread: Which software to view videos that takes good screenshots?

Question Which software to view videos that takes good screenshots?

Hi.

Which software can I use to view videos that also takes good screen shots? I thought VLC media player was good, but I found somebody else's screen shot that was at much better quality and I do not know how they got such good quality. What is a good software to view movies that can take better screen shots that do not downgrade the quality so much?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Comparing a screenshots I took with every video software I could, and its still not as good as the other guy's screenshot. How did he get such high quality?

Screenshot taken with Media Player Classic software

Screenshot taken with BS Player software

Screenshot taken with VLC Media Player software

Screenshot taken with apple Quicktime software (not really, while playing video in Quicktime, I hit "Edit>copy" and in other image software I hit "Edit>paste"...quite a hassle)

what the other guy's screenshot looks like, somehow much better.

-------------------------------------------------
    Forgive me if this is a bad question, I read the faqs and boy... you guys are serious hardcore stuff. I just do this stuff for a fun. From what I can tell my question hasn't been answered by the FAQ's (I see the list of video editing software, but it goes over my head) so I'm hoping this is a basic question that doesn't break any rules. Sorry if linking to imageshack is bad, I couldn't figure out the manage attachment feature w/o the images being shrunk.

What the screenshot is of, is a cinematic from a video game Marvel Vs Capcom 3. I don't know what the other guy's source was. My source was a 720p MP4 I recorded directly off the video game playing on my Xbox 360, that was hooked up to a Hauppage HD PVR via component cables, and that was hooked up to my laptop via USB. Recording software was , with component cables at 720p, with xbox 360 hooked up into a Hauppage HD PVR. This process created a 720p MP4 file that I used in each software to take screenshots, and somehow it is still not very crisp as the other person's.

I ask this because while watching a movie I see a scene, a picture, a facial expression, a pose, or anything that I feel I must remember for future reference (I want to be an artist) that I like to save screenshots alot. I am now realizing how poor my screenshots are compared to this guy, and I want to know how he achieved such good results.

Ultimatately I'd love to find a good software that takes better quality screenshots, *and* can do so quite easily with a press of a button. This is because if I watch a movie and I like 30 shots, I'd like to save it without interupting the movie. VLC media player is very good for this, just hit SHIFT+S and it saves a PNG of whatever is shown, filename is a timestamp of sorts so no need with renaming issues. I thought Apple Quicktime would be better...but it is a hassle, requiring copying, opening a different program and then pasting.

What is a good software to use to watch videos that will take good screenshots, with the press of a button?

Thank you very much

This is an interesting issue which I have never looked into. I just use Windows Media player that came with Win 7. One idea I thought of why the other guys image is better, is that he took it from a higher definition video like 1080. The only way you can know for sure is to ask him.