Thread: New to DSLR filming

1. Default New to DSLR filming

Hi folks,
    I've just invested in a Canon 60D, upgrading from a Panasonic HDC-SD600 and I'm not too sure about lenses.

I've found a relatively good priced 17mm 2.8 manual fisheye for Canon EF SLR however I'm not sure if this would work on my new camera?

Anyone have any idea whether it would at all?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Before you go down the route of buying new lenses, consider why you're buying them, and the quality of lens you can afford. So, my questions would be:

• Why are you looking to buy a fisheye lens
    • What's your budget
    • What type of filming are you planning on doing?

3. Default

I'm looking to buy a fisheye lens to film inline skating.
    I'm not really looking to purchase a proper fisheye yet but if this one goes for a very cheap price then I'd be tempted to buy the lens just to learn how to film fisheye on DSLR before upgrading to a Samyang once I've got more money and a better grasp of filming with it.
    I will be filming inline skating as said above. Owned the Opteka 0.3x 58mm lens before upgrading to the 60D and selling it on.

Quote Originally Posted by beezer123 View Post
    Hi folks,

I've found a relatively good priced 17mm 2.8 manual fisheye for Canon EF SLR however I'm not sure if this would work on my new camera?

Anyone have any idea whether it would at all?

Thanks in advance.
    is 17mm going to be wide enough ? sorry i have no idea whether itv will work with your canon. however i can highly recommend the samyang (8mm) fisheye. i used one on my D3100 to film skateboarding. manual focus only on my D3100 but razor sharp in the right conditions and you can pick em up pretty cheap on fleabay now.

Since you've got a 60D, remember there is a 1.6X multiplier to your lens length. The Canon 5D has full 35mm sensor where as the 7D and 60D have the 1.6x APS-C sensor crop factor. It's a smaller sensor, therefore doesn't show the full ranger of the lens. So a 50mm lens is really a 80mm lens on the 7D and 60D. And your 17mm lens is really a 27mm lens.

A 17mm lens is still going to be wide on a 60D, but will it be wide enough? I would say, try before you buy.

Since you'll be shooting skating (lots of fast motion, low to the ground, difficult to focus on the fly, etc.), you'll want your aperture wide open to widen your depth of field as much as possible. So if you buy a slow lens, F4.0, this will be cheaper for you and this will help you keep your action in focus.

-Mike