Thread: Dead Infection - Episode 1 (Short 15 min film)

Default Dead Infection - Episode 1 (Short 15 min film)

Hey everyone!

Just fiinished my first episode of a series that i am going to make in my spare time for fun and to get better at making films.

All of this has been done for free and on a Canon 550d over 2 months every saturday. I have no money so i currently dont have a external mic for my camera so forgive me for the low sound quality but i hope the rest of the film makes up for it.

Its a mix between the films "The Road" & "28 Days Later". Forgive me for it featuring "zombie" like things, however its a easy way to get free actors. However i believe it is different since i have tried to be original with my content and try coming up with new ideas to make it interesting. It is not a typical zombie film as it has a story.

Tell me what you think, and please do point out the bad points in detail as i would love to imporve.

YouTube - Dead Infection - Episode One HD

Thank you all

I thought you did a good job over all. As you know the sound is not brilliant but I thought you did quite well with just an onboard mic. I thought the over all look of the piece looked good, done in the expected contemporary style of this type of movie. The thing I would advise for future episodes is watch out for continuity, I'm sure you are aware of the magic hair cuts at around 1:32. Also things like when a zombie is shot in the head there is a big splat of blood but then you see them fall or on the ground and they are relatively clean. If I was you I would get one of your mates to be in charge of continuity. It's very easy to slip up in this area and it is very distracting to the viewer if noticed.

I thought you did very well making this on a zero budget but would advise you not to make such a close copy of 28 days later, try and come up with a twist or something to make your piece different from it. I'm looking forward to what happens next.

that-is-fcking-Amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I thought you did a good job over all. As you know the sound is not brilliant but I thought you did quite well with just an onboard mic. I thought the over all look of the piece looked good, done in the expected contemporary style of this type of movie. The thing I would advise for future episodes is watch out for continuity, I'm sure you are aware of the magic hair cuts at around 1:32. Also things like when a zombie is shot in the head there is a big splat of blood but then you see them fall or on the ground and they are relatively clean. If I was you I would get one of your mates to be in charge of continuity. It's very easy to slip up in this area and it is very distracting to the viewer if noticed.

I thought you did very well making this on a zero budget but would advise you not to make such a close copy of 28 days later, try and come up with a twist or something to make your piece different from it. I'm looking forward to what happens next.
    Thanks for the advice, yeah the hair thing was a massive problem that i knew about for ages but sadly there was nothing i could do since they were free actors.

The blood splat i thought which was the most noticeable was when the one was crawling, however all things i learn but doing wrong

We have got a twist planned which hopefuly is good!

Thanks again!

I'm sure the next episode will be even better than this one. I look forward to seeing it. I think if you can streatch to a cheap mic stuck on the end of a stick it would improve your production values.

Im saving up for a mic atm, i got a budget of 200 because i get paid.

What mic would you recommend to me?

I use a Sennheiser ME66+K6 but I don't think it would fit on your camera it has an XLR plug. Most compact cameras have a mini jack mic socket. What I would recommend is a separate audio recorder like THIS it has built in stereo mics and is great quality. This will give you the problem of matching the sound with the pictures in editing but thats very easy to do if you have a clapper board or just clap your hands in front of the camera at the beginning of each take. I wouldn't always recommend this for the sort of work you are doing but I think it might be right for your circumstances. You will have to work out how to get it close enough to your actors in ingenious ways but I'm sure you can figure that out.

I'm not a mic or sound expert so take my opinion as that, just one opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enaver View Post
    Forgive me for it featuring "zombie" like things, however its a easy way to get free actors.
    I had a good laugh at that. What do you do, dig up graveyards?

You've clearly planned this well and paid a lot of attention to detail. Full credit for that. One thing you need to do is to get that camera onto manual exposure. There were several shots where much "bloom" was evident.

I thought the effects were generally well done - understated is nearly always best.

I did find it rather slow at first.

Other han that - what Midnight said!
    Tim