Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight Up-Panasonic Or Sony

Default Straight Up-Panasonic Or Sony

I need reasons for either purchasing the panasonic nv-gs75 or sony dcr-hc42

image quality different

good vs bad points?

Cheers

Blog Entries

Most of us here have limited experience of camcorders (i.e the one's we own ourselves!). Take a look at the indepth views at www.camcorderinfo.com first, then post here if you want any technical jargon explained! They give excellent indepth reviews of every virtually every cam on the market...

I've got a Panasonic NVGS 75, my view of it so far:

+ small
    + easy to use, but scope for manual control too
    + 3CCD's so the image quality is really impressive

- no DV-In
    - only 10x optical zoom

Don't know anything about that particular Sony though, although my old sony was really well made and had good picture quality for its price.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

I don't have the HC42 but I've not long bought the HC22 from the same family of products. It's my first camcorder and initial impressions were good, simple to use with a few more advanced features if you want to delve a bit deeper. Picture quality seems fine considering the price and connectivity had everything I needed, mostly via the docking cradle, which actually comes in far handier than expected.

I've not had any problems with getting DV out via the firewire into the PC into both moviemaker 2 and now Premiere Elements.

You don't say what you want to use it for but the more I learn about videography and editing the more my own requirements seem to change! Only now do I wish i'd at least gone for a camera with a separate mic socket :(

in case it's relevant:
    the NVGS 75 has a mic-socket, and a cable remote control thing, like a lanc controller, but they use the same socket, so it's one or the other unfortunately.

The remote is really useful for keeping it steady when zoomed in using a tripod. Haven't used the mic-socket yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by bgarthp
    in case it's relevant:
    the NVGS 75 has a mic-socket, and a cable remote control thing, like a lanc controller, but they use the same socket, so it's one or the other unfortunately.
    The remote is really useful for keeping it steady when zoomed in using a tripod. Haven't used the mic-socket yet though.
    I'm guessing that's a feature of the camcorder and not the normal spec for a LANC socket? Only ask as my camcorder has a LANC socket, will have to go and dig out the manual again to see if it might be multi-function.

I've had a quick read of the manual, and as far as I can see it's just a function of the camera, I'm pretty sure it's (edit because I just re-read this NOT compatible with LANC stuff, and I don't think LANC has the dual function.

I could be wrong though.

well i know i've had limited experience with a camcord when it took me about 2 hours to realise that the mini dv tape i was putting in was a head cleaning tape.
    But the nvgs75 is really really good so far.

I have tried many dv cams, digi cams, of all brands
    SONY ARE THE BEST, BUT MORE EXPENSIVE, you pay for quality rather than some extra features. (from experience)
    *remember 5 mega pixel isn't same quality as the next 5mp
    eg. my 1.5mp old school sony digi cam still out class's many 3mp + camera's i seen.

they are cheaper now, but they use cheaper lens's!

many cameras there days say they're 5MP but use 3MP CCDs, shit optics, and interpolate to get 5MP.

That doesn't matter, because the OP asked about two specific models. They didn't ask for a sony fanboy show of hands.

I've used shit sony kit, and i've used shit panny kit. I've also used good gear from both. You really can't boil it down to point at one manufacturer, when you're talking about two GOOD manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast