Thread: Need help convering files so they can be opened on a Mac

Default Need help converting files so they can be opened on a Mac

Bear with me as I am a video editing noob. Long story short, a videographer shot a video of one of our customers and ditched us. A video editor we've hired only has a Mac and cannot open these files of this particular customer. Since I am the only computer-literate person in my office and my boss doesn't want to spend any more money on it, I am stuck with it. What I need to accomplish is converting this video to a format that can be opened in a Mac using FCP.

What the video editor wants:

- An .mov file that holds the same resolution as the original file that has an h.264 codec (high quality, high compression from what I understand)

What I've tried:

- I used Adobe Media Encoder to try and convert the file to said specs. However, Media Encoder cuts the video WAY short. A 31 second video exports as a 2 second long video. A buddy of mine that knows a little more than me says this may be because the file is corrupt

- I've used Vegas Pro 10, but it takes the aforementioned 31 second video at 404 MB and it outputs a 2.91GB file. Not sure what the heck is going on there.

What I need to know is this:

1. How do I convert this file to something that can be worked with on a Mac keeping it as a RAW file?

If 1 isn't possible...

2. How do I convert this to a file that will "work" with Adobe Media Encoder, so that it can correctly convert it to what the video editor needs?

Here's what Gspot has to say about the video:

Here's the properties that I have set in Vegas:

I selected those properties based on the information in Gspot and what Vegas has to say about the original file. I figure using those settings will give me what I need, right?

I tried Rendering it as an .AVI file and that is when it comes out to a 2.91GB file. I also tried WMV 11, but that comes out as a 25MB file. Which seems entirely way too small to be a RAW file.

Any ideas? If you need any other info, please let me know.
    Last edited by ElBrandO; 05-04-2011 at 08:58 PM.