Thread: need help- DV captured to avi, but no sound in pro10 !

Default need help- DV captured to avi, but no sound in pro10 !

Must be me.
    I captured video from miniDV (NTSC) camcorder using Firewire connection to Pinnacle 510-USB using Windows Live Movie Maker.

( using the Studio 14 supplied by app that came with 510-USB did not capture sound ! )

Captured avi file plays OK in Windows media Player and Studio 14, but when imported into VegasPro10 there is no sound.
    So what am I doing wrong ? is it because it is evaluation version?
    Any help would be appreciated.

- clip properties from VP10 are:
    General
    Name: PART1.avi
    Folder: D:\vID_cAPTURES
    Type: Video for Windows
    Size: 8.30 GB (8,502,450,176 bytes)
    Created: 03 May 2011, 19:20:36
    Modified: 03 May 2011, 20:00:32
    Accessed: 03 May 2011, 20:02:49
    Attributes: Archive

Streams
    Video: 00:39:17.655, 29.970 fps progressive, 720x480x24, DV

ACID information
    ACID chunk: no
    Stretch chunk: no
    Stretch list: no
    Stretch info2: no
    Beat markers: no
    Detected beats: no

Other metadata
    Regions/markers: no
    Command markers: no

Media manager
    Media tags: no

Plug-In
    Name: aviplug.dll
    Folder: D:\Vegas10\FileIO Plug-Ins\aviplug
    Format: Video for Windows
    Version: Version 1.2 (Build 12640) 64-bit
    Company: Sony Creative Software Inc.

Blog Entries

When you drop it onto the timeline, does it just place a video event or is there an associated audio event? If there is an audio event, does the wave form show anything?

Actually - how are you placing it on the timeline? If you're doing it from the trimmer, are you only placing the video portion there?

Try dragging the clip from Windows Explorer directly onto the timeline and let us know what happens.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    When you drop it onto the timeline, does it just place a video event or is there an associated audio event? If there is an audio event, does the wave form show anything?

Actually - how are you placing it on the timeline? If you're doing it from the trimmer, are you only placing the video portion there?

Try dragging the clip from Windows Explorer directly onto the timeline and let us know what happens.
    I agree with this. However, if this does not solve the problem, try checking the volume on the audio track layer. Sometimes when specified audio(+video?) clips are imported into vegas sometimes it can't read the audio correctly.

But yes, try to use either; Explorer Tab in vegas, Windows Explorer Drag To Vegas, or Import the file from a directory.

Also to be safe check your preview audio settings.

Tried simple drag/drop from windows explored diredt to timeline.
    No change. There is no audio track showing, usualy there is an audio track shown under the video track, but not on this file.
    As for more properties, getting them by right-click in explorer shows the folowing:
    Video:
    Frame width 720
    Frame height 480
    Data rate 28858kbps
    Total bitrate 29882kbps
    Frame rate 29 fps
    Audio:
    Bitrate 1024kbps
    Channels 2(stereo)
    Audio sample rate 32kHz

The file plays OK in all other apps, so it's either a setting or CoDec in SVP10
    The only "envelope" option when right-click (r-c) the clip is Velocity. In Tools/Audio- there is nothing selectable.
    Thanks for help ( eventualy need to purchase SVP10, and need to get the best out of it with that sort of investment )
    Simplefi

5. Default

Try creating the audio track yourself, and then use the Explorer tab to open your file. If your audio timeline doesn't even get placed then sony vegas is not reading the audio.

Tried that. - no luck.
    I have noticed, when a clip is highlighted in the "Project Media" list, it's properties are displayed under the window, just above the Tabs ( Standard layout ).
    The offending clip has no Audio details.
    -Video: 720x480x24, 29.970fps, 2,357.655, Alpha= None, Field Order= None (Progressive Scan), DV
    A good clip has:
    -Video: 720x480x24, 29.970fps, 1,450.316, Alpha= None, Field Order= None (Progressive Scan), DV
    -Audio: 32,000Hz, 12bit, Stereo, 1,450.316, DV Audio
    FYI- when this latter clip is added to Project_Media, a New process is triggered- Audio proxy file is being built. After this ends, this latter clip has video & Audio tracks.
    Both clips are from the same source cam

I have used Pinnacle Studio14 to chop a section, and save as Mpeg2. Then bring this re-coded section into SVP. It imports OK, with audio.
    As SVP normally does imoprt media OK, it is just this particular clip. ( and one other ). They are taken from miniDV camcorder. So I am going to re-rip them and see if it a corrupt file. If not, I can always continue the project by either re-coding in Studio first, then import into SVP or continue on in Studio. I would prefer to think I could use SVP for everything, and ditch Studio.
    The offending clip is about 8 Gb, which is larger than my installed RAM, I know its a silly question but I'll ask it anyway, is there a file size limit on SVP ?