Thread: Science Fiction Political Drama

1. Default Science Fiction Political Drama

Queen Ania is faced with a tough decision when war threatens her people.

Director's Commentary:
    I've always enjoyed political dramas, so when it came time to produce the 8th installment in the "Imperial Odyssey" series, I wanted to do something that stood out. "Brushfire" is a purely character driven story so it really challenged my abilities as both a director and writer. Keeping a film entertaining can be very difficult sometimes, especially where the entire story takes place in a single room. To keep it aesthetically pleasing we used lots of cuts in the edit. This really helped keep the pace the intensity of the film. But quick cuts and shot variety aren't enough for a movie like this. My actor's performances are really what held this movie together. This was a great experience as a director to study character, actor dynamics, and work with a talented cast to deliver the perfect performances. I enjoyed making this film so much I've started writing a feature based off it. Perhaps one day, should I find the funding, I could get deeper into the story.

I was uncomfortable with the queen character. She seemed to over emotional for her position. I understand it was tense and there was a lot at stake but when you are the boss of bosses you have to stay calm headed and listen to the advisers then make you decision, more like she was at the end when speaking with the general. If you think how an actress like dame Helen Mirren would play it. She has the ability to show what's going on under the surface with her eyes without being externally emotional. I'm not knocking your actress, it's just how I would have directed it.

Also the clothes being from present time was not right for the movie if it's set so far in the future. The over the shoulder shot at 1:49 looked odd. It was not framed well and at a funny angle. The camera panning round at 3:10 look odd as it started to soon. Then at 3:22 the camera tilts up but then tilts down again, I think it would have been better with a cut in stead of tilting down again.

The queens dialogue at 5:18 is nonsensical, the queen says she will not justify her actions and then proceeds to do so. However I thought it was generally well written. The acting was mostly well done. I don't mean to be very critical of you or your cast but I thought you might like a fresh view of the piece.