Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Royal Wedding Day.

Blog Entries

Default Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Royal Wedding Day.

Just a little film I made documenting the departure and return of the B.B.M.F from RAF Coningsby last Friday, when the rest of the world was either watching telly or in London for 'that' event.

Had to shoot from outside the fence as they left, but wangled my way inside for their return to base.

If you're a fan of the BBMF give it a watch - otherwise it may be a tad dull for you.

"I counted them all out and I counted them all back in again". people of a certain age will understand that quote.

Nice one Andy, even the shots outside the fence look good BUT couldn't you have used your crane to shoot over it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    BUT couldn't you have used your crane to shoot over it.
    Crap. Never thought of that. Actually, I had no idea what to expect - Just slung the camera in the car on the morning and went. Big respect to the BBMF though - a friendly bunch of people.

i wouldn't consider myself an airplane buff in any shape or form but that spitfire sound sends a shiver down my spine every time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    that spitfire sound sends a shiver down my spine every time
    Didn't realise you were that old, enc!

What did it for me was Gustav Holst's "Jupiter" - the "I Vow To Thee My Country" theme starting at 0:57.

Andy, this was fantastic. I'm no great plane buff myself, though I made numerous Airfix Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancasters as I guess many of us of a certain age did.

The combination of those pictures and that music just stired up a massive pride in being British - which i always find a bit daft as I wasn't around for WWII to be a hero and I'm only British by the accident of being born here.

I think the look of the film actually benefitted from being shot through the fence. It made me feel like I imagine boys around RAF stations during the war must have felt as they rushed up to the bases to see squadrons scramble. It's a shame you couldn't get your footage incorporated into one of the "official" Royal Wedding DVDs.
    Tim

Were they gone that long that long that colour was discovered by the time they got back?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Were they gone that long that long that colour was discovered by the time they got back?
    No - but White Balance was.... In truth the footage looked (and still does) right in camera but was tinged green on capture... a very weird situation that prompted a fortuitous cheat.

Tim - I'm with you on the Airfix thing - I made lots very badly. For me the impromptu display from the lone Spitfire and the overhead pass from the Lancaster were moments I'll never forget. I thought the Airdrew coming over to talk to the assembled public was a lovely touch. The round of applause they got was well deserved.

I'm sorry, I just thougth it was too long.

I appreciate that the crew talking at the end has a different feeling for you being there, but that never carried through on the video, I'd move it away.

I'd knock 2 (maybe even 3) minutes off it and get that footage of the crew/map in at the start as a build up, I found that the time between the start and the take off was too long, perhaps these shots worked in before the shot in the cockpit would help the build up without making it much (or any) shorter.

I really like that momet at 30 seconds as the prop starts up with the music, but the moment is then taken away by slowing down the action in the following shots. I'd go straight to take off from there. I'd also be tempted to finish after the planes have left rather than on return, but I'm not even sure on that.

I also think shooting through the fence adds to this particular video.

David.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    I'm sorry, I just thougth it was too long...
    Fair comment David. But I do refer you to my original post - some may find it a tad dull...

I see where your coming from, and of course the viewers interest will definately make a difference.

I suppose I have a "make everything work for anyone" outlook. It's something I've had from my performing magic days.

I did enjoy your video, I never start to think what I would do different unless I do.

David.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast