Thread: Capturing quality jpgs from mts file

Default Capturing quality jpgs from mts file

I am the unofficial videographer for my son's baseball team. I'm trying to figure out how to capture a quality photo from an MTS file. The video is great,

but when I use the software I have to capture a photo, the photo is VERY jagged/unclear.

11_04_30-22_38_04.jpg

Is there a way to capture a clear photo from an MTS file? And if so, can you dumb it down for a video novice?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is "the software" you use to capture the image.

Aunsoft, HD Video Converter Factory and AVCHD Converter all capture stills, but they all look like the one I attached. I'm thinking there must be a better way. All 3 I have are shareware.

Thanks for any advice/help.

So is this not possible? I'm starting to think it isn't possible. I just figured it would be possible, since it's HD video, but all the methods I've used result in poor quality photos.

Blog Entries

Once my images are captured (using Vegas' internal snapshot facility) I de-interlace the image in Paint Shop Pro. Most decent photo software will have a deinterlace function - check and see if yours has.

No video capture is going to be as good a quality image as a modern digital camera. Even full HD is only 1920 x 1080 which = 2,073,600 or 2 megapixels most modern digital cameras now a days will be minimal 10 megapixel. Also the quality of the original image is important like Andy said if you are getting interlace artefacts you can de-interlace the image in most graphics programs.

Thanks guys for the input. The deinterlace function on my photo editing software cleared it up a little, but not a lot. I'd be thrilled with a 2MP photo that was clear, but I don't think I have strong enough software to get it done.

Thanks again for your help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pthawaii View Post
    .. The deinterlace function on my photo editing software cleared it up a little, but not a lot..
    You do need to be very careful on the frame you grab... any movement will (post de-interlacing) result in a blur. If you can choose grabs where the camera or subject (or both) has the least movement will result in better results.

This still was taken from a recent wedding I filmed. Grabbed off the timeline- and no de-interlacing applied..
    220963_2059465532135_1409575473_2431793_112714_o.jpg