Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Background White-Noise

Default Removing Background White-Noise

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way of removing slight white-noise from the background of audio? I have recording of bird-song but my camera picks up a gentle hushy noise from the camera fan I think. Is there some program which isolates the bird song ?

Thanks,
    Will

Sony Vegas has a range of audio tools you could try. If it's a low in the mix noise, you could try a gate on it or try dipping the EQ at the right frequency. I wouldn't recommend Audacity to do this as I've found the noise reduction tool to be next to useless.

Thanks! How do you get the audio track from an AVCHD format video saved into a format which you can edit in an audio program?

EDIT: I see vegas costs? Is there any free option?
    Last edited by photographer; 05-01-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Sorry Buddy I thought you already had Vegas. I sure what ever editing program you have will have audio tools. If you found a third part sound editor You can render your movie as a wave file well you can in Vegas or if not I think if you render it as an uncompressed .avi you will find a quick change of the name to .wav will let you edit the file in a sound editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Sorry Buddy I thought you already had Vegas. I sure what ever editing program you have will have audio tools. If you found a third part sound editor You can render your movie as a wave file well you can in Vegas or if not I think if you render it as an uncompressed .avi you will find a quick change of the name to .wav will let you edit the file in a sound editor.
    I have edius neo 3 - there are some audio filters but I don't know about noise reduction? I tried a high pass filter and put it as high as possible but there is still a noticeable amount of white noise as it only goes to 10005hz as a filter and the bird tweet is higher.

I would concentrate on reducing the unwanted noise rather than trying to isolate the bird song. What I think might help is a noise gate ie something which stops any noise lower than a certain Db level. I'm sure there will be a Graphic Equaliser in Neo. Try and isolate the frequency of the fan noise and reduce that frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I would concentrate on reducing the unwanted noise rather than trying to isolate the bird song. What I think might help is a noise gate ie something which stops any noise lower than a certain Db level. I'm sure there will be a Graphic Equaliser in Neo. Try and isolate the frequency of the fan noise and reduce that frequency.
    There is a graphic equalizer yes. Trouble is - how do I find the frequency of the fan? I'm new to this!

Trial and error. If it's a low rumble start at the bottom low frequencies, if it's a high pitched whine start at the top end.

Hmm, well I turned them all down apart from 16k which is the bird song I think, and there is still some of the hum. Noticeably less but still there...

If you use final cut pro for your video editing, you can import the audio there and then there is an audio adjustment tool within FCP that is fantastic at removing high end hiss and background noise. We would typically use this if a microphone becomes damaged on a shoot and puts out high end noise. With a little playing around with the levels you can all but remove it without affecting the audio you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast