Thread: Starting out; help me spend 2k on cam, s/w

Default Starting out; help me spend 2k on cam, s/w

Ive so enjoyed filming on my Blackberry Torch (!) and editing with moviemaker i've decided to splash out on a new cam. So far I like the look of the Canon XF100 but am completely open-minded about other brands. I'll be using it at sports events, for product demos and some corporate peices and interviews. I'll be expecting to edit on a home PC but might buy a dedicated machine for the purpose and a fat hard-drive for storage. Ill def want to convert to web and load to youtube and stream from company sites so enabling all of that simply will be a bonus.

Help me spend my budget - what should I buy?

Default just an idea

Why not try a 550d, a couple of decent lenses and a good tripod. Then put some money back in your pocket or spend it on the editing suite.

others will surely know more but it's very versatile, will do stills as well and with a couple of well chosen lenses will give you reach, depth of field, everything. Sports you'll have to be careful of rolling shutter, but if you pan with the action I think you'll be fine.

If you continue to like it and want to move up a notch, the 550d becomes the b cam and your spanking new 5D MkII, or MK III by then, becomes your main camera.

Just an idea, but if 2K is really the budget then factor in a proper editing programme (Adobe Premiere plus After Effects or FCS, whichever way you want to go) and a good tripod, they'll make as much if not more of a difference than the camera you choose.

Thx Nick - it seems counter-intuitive but checking the spec on the 550d it does a fine job on video at excellent resolution so you might be onto something (and i dont have a decent SLR!) but what about sound? will it take a mic for the interviews?

Blog Entries

I'm a bit confused as to what you want your 2K to cover. Camera + Software + PC?
    The camera you're looking at already blows your budget on its own.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to what you want your 2K to cover. Camera + Software + PC?
    The camera you're looking at already blows your budget on its own.
    just camera and s/w; im assuming that if I can establish the right feature set i should be able to find a used model somewhere on ebay or elsewhere online - used prices are often about 50% and compromising on slightly older model seems ok for me as a newbie to the game

Quote Originally Posted by leofwine View Post
    Thx Nick - it seems counter-intuitive but checking the spec on the 550d it does a fine job on video at excellent resolution so you might be onto something (and i dont have a decent SLR!) but what about sound? will it take a mic for the interviews?
    Whatever camera you buy count on buying a new microphone. The kit ones are, well, what rhymes with kit?

Like I say there are far more knowledgable people on here, but the 550d has a basic jackplug and a Rode Videomic seems to do a good job, or a Zoom external recorder if you don't mind making a basic rig.

Get a decent camera, and a good tripod, most modern cams will give you the res you need for pretty much any application. And by the time you learn how to use a top end cam, it will be out of date. I know this from experience, don't get me wrong I love my EX1, but if I'd spent a year with a DSLR I'd know far, far more, and I ended up buying a DSLR as a second cam in the end anyway...

Another thing to consider, and I tell you this from bitter experience, too, is that a top end video camera can be intimidating and frustrating. For months I would have got better results with a point and shoot and there is nothing more disheartening than having all the gear and producing rubbish. If I wasn't so stubborn I'd have stopped doing video altogether. Build up to it, it will be more fun.

It's like learning to drive in a Ferrari, there's too much to take in and you cannot exploit the car at all.
    Last edited by NickmHall; 05-03-2011 at 09:09 PM.