Thread: Splitting and Trimming

Default Splitting and Trimming

I currently have Sonic's myDVD6, Windows movie maker2.1, and Nero6.

When I import a *.wmv file that I created from miniDV's from my camcorder through my firewire port I do it as 1 file. I thought for sure it would be a basic function on at least one of the programs I use to trim and split that 1 file into several different ones. I don't see the function.

Can anyone recommend a program that can trim and split and spit out custom movie segments?

thanks in advance

I'm not sure I read that right, but here's what I can explain...

If you're using Windows Movie Maker, you should be able to put the timeline cursor on the exact moment you want a cut to occur, and then go to Edit > Split. I think that is how it works in WMM. Good luck, though.

thanks but, I need to be more clear maybe. In windows movie maker the split command still saves it as one file. I want to actually split the file and save clips seperately.

Import the video. Split out and delete everything but the clip you want. Render the movie as a new video file. Then, for the next clip, split out and delete everything but the second clip that you want, and then render the movie as the second file, and so on...

By the time you're done making all your different clips, you should have a number of individual files, each with different clips from the original video.

Quote Originally Posted by stewby52 View Post
    thanks but, I need to be more clear maybe. In windows movie maker the split command still saves it as one file. I want to actually split the file and save clips seperately.
    quite old post but contemporary problem. my answer is going to be useful to many, hence why i am publishing it.

forget for one moment what video editor you use and focus on the video file. video files have key frames or, in some cases, called GOP (Group of Pictures) that are special frames that are
    1) seekable
    2) contain color information to decode the successive frames
    usually videos can be split only in correspondence of these special frames and how many of them are in a video and in what position depends on the quality of the video and in the way it has been produced.

I am aware of only one specific software tool that can split anywhere or, by option, only at keyframes AND that does not need to re-encode,
    you can find here the video splitter

Keyframes can be at every second or even at every frame and is not true that a lot of keyframes increase the file size.
    i needed to explain what keyframes are because that's important to split a file.
    People look at splitting, trimming files as if it's a piece of paper and you gonna cut it with scissors, is not exactly like that.
    compression methods and specific codecs made it difficulty to handle a post-production file.
    Anyway if you do not want to get too many headaches that one i suggest is an easy to use tool and does not require you to be a video engineer.