Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems placing items in Vegas Studio HD 10

Default Problems placing items in Vegas Studio HD 10

I'm quite new to vegas, but I'm working on a clip and I'm experimenting big frustrations when I have to understand how to place titles (but pics as well) in my video.

In a few words, I'm working with several tracks, and I'm adding titles and pics in variuos of them.
    First thing I can't understand is that they seem to have a "frame" around them, usually smaller then the clip dimensions (1920x1080): the result is that part of the title is out of view or, if I see it correctly, it is in the wrong place in the screen. But if I try to move it, it goes out of the subframe again.

I have played with text position and pan/crop tool, but I can't work out how they work.

How can I place a title (or a pic) as big as I want and where I want? What's the philosophy behind this behaviour in Vegas?

Thank you very much to whoever will help!

Blog Entries

Hi Akd. I'm having a bit of a problem understanding your description "They seem to have a small frame around them" for example - what do you mean by "they" and what window are you looking at.

I agree this can be confusing - I certainly struggled when first learning Vegas and still often get my knickers in a twist, scrapo and start again when doing some of this stuff.

Anyway, broadly speaking:

Use the pan and crop tool: When you open it you see a frame with a large "F" in the middle. You can resize the frame. Lets assume for now you leave the "Lock aspect ratio" and "size around centre" set on (default). Also ensure that under "source" Maintain Aspect Ratio" and "stretch to rame are also set to yes"
    Now, make the frame smaller. Observe the preview window. You have now zoomed in, such that the area within the frame in the P&C window fills your output screen.
    Move the "frame" around, so you are now zooming in on different parts of the image.

OK So far? Good

Now, stretch the frame, such that it is larger than the original image (you can use the wheel on your mouse if you have one to zoom out of the pan and crop window)

Observe the Preview window. Your image does not fill the whole of the screen - the frame in the P&C window represents the screen size. (This is the basis for a "Picture in Picture" composite.)

Once you've got the hang of this, start playing around with the Optuions I mentioned above as well as rotating the frame.

It takes some getting used to.

So far, so good.

You should be able to select the part of the image you want and either set it to fill the whole screen (if "Stretch to Fill Screen is set on) or just leave it as a "cutout" (if it's left off)
    Note the "Stretch to fill frame" option seems to have different effects depending whether the frame in the P&C window is larger or smaller than the source image.

Play around with this for a good while to get the hang of it.

Now you need to position it. For this we use the "Track Motion"

Start off with an output image smaller than the preview window (eg keep the P&C settings at default, then make the frame in the P&C window bigger)
    Now open the track motion window (It's an icon on the treack header)
    This time the blue rectangle represents the your source. Drag it left and your image moves to the left of your preview window. Simple as that!

Now you can also resize the image in the track motion window, but I would not advise zooming in as theres' a potentially greater loss in quality - see my post in http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sony-ve...-pan-crop.html

You can also turn on 3D track motion (migh be available in Pro only - can't remember) which adds a whole new - ahem - dimension to this.

This is all quote complex because it is so very flexible. It's worth persevering. Good luck.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-30-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Tim

Hi Tim, I think I have a similar problem to the original poster.

I tried the first few steps from your post however I wasn't getting the outcome I require so thought I'd just ask for you're advice regarding my actual problem.

So I've recorded 720p footage and placed it in Vegas, and then imported a photoshop file into the project and placed it in a track above the footage.

The psd image is 720x480px (Which I'm lead to believe - through quick research - is the dimensions of my 720p footage)

My problem is that the image doesn't cover the whole of the footage and leaves gaps above and below showing part of the footage which isn't meant to be seen, I've taken a screenshot;

2rm6uk6.jpg

(The black part of the screen is the actual psd file, as you can see the footage is showing above and below the image (the red square is a censored part of the image))

I went into pan & crop and tried to resize the image after reading your post but I'm not having any luck scaling up(it scales down fine), do you have any advice/instructions on how to initially insert the psd file without having to resize the image, or if not at least how to resize it correctly?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Hi D.Rage,
    Firstly it's not the same problem at all
    Secondly 720 x 480 is not the correct pixel dimensions for 720p.
    Thirdly, your preview is set to 4x3 (which is not a format 720p is associated with)

Gotta rush off now. But I'll be back if no-one fills in more of the blanks in the meantime.
    Tim

To follow on what Tim was saying, 720p means the project size is 1280 x 720 It looks like your project properties is not aet to that as it is not wide screen. So either your footage is not 720p or you have the wrong project property settings.

Blog Entries

Thanks for picking up the ball and running with it Midnight...
    Tim

Thanks for the replies so far, when I open up the video in Sony Vegas, the project window shows these properties for the footage;

Video: 720x480x12, 29.970fps

The properties for the image I've placed on top are; 720x480x32.

I looked around in Vegas for a while to find the video's pixel dimensions, but didn't have much luck. Hopefully it's just an issue with choosing the correct pixel size for my image.

Also, I don't know how to find the optimum settings for my preview in relation to my videos so if I could have help with that also I'd appreciate that as all future projects should be using those same settings.
    Last edited by d.rage; 05-02-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Blog Entries

OK, we need to clear a few things up here....
    The Project Properties window is what you set. It has nothing to do with the footage you shot.

[720 x 480 is the settings for Standard Definition in NTSC (US settings)]

However, if all your footage has come from one source, life will become much easier if you set the prohect properties the same as your source media.
    I'll show you how to do that in a second, but first, just so you can see the dimension of your source footage, right click on the footage from within Vegas (either in the Project Media window or on the timeline), select properties and then look at the Media Tab (Format and attributes). This is what came off the camera and your project properties should (generally) be set to match this.

To set your project properties the same as your source.

Open the Project properties page (File | Properties),
    Go to the Video tab,
    Click on the right most icon on the line that begins "Template" - if you hover over it it should say "Match Media Settings"
    Now navingate to any file on your PC which you are going to use as a source file.

Magically your Project properties will match your source and you should find things work a bit better.

One other thing to do, is o the preview window, on the image itself, right click and make sure "Simulate Device Aspec Ratio" is ticked, otherwise it will display the image with square pixels.

Good luck and don't hesitate to call back.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Addendum: don't try to get the pixel dimensions correct in Photoshop as Vegas will assume they are square pixels anyway and thus destroy your efforts.
    Ensure instead that your image has the aspect ratio to match that of your project (ie 16 x 9 or 4 x 3)
    Tim

Thank you very much TimStannard, you have been very kind.

Some things you said, such as the motion of a pic or a text, were already fixed in my mind. The thing that the P&C tool works like a zoom too. But there are a couple of properties I need to look more closely.

I find difficoult to explain my problem (even in my mother language!).
    The thing is not the motion of something in the screen, but its static position when I insert it. I mean, for example: If I would like to insert a title in a 1920x1080 video, should I create a 1920x1080 text box, right?
    But many times the text goes out an invisible frame, even if P&C frame in perfectly centered.
    Then if I change text box'es size to, let's say, 1500x800, I see it in a different size, and I can't place it in the part of the screen I want, since it keeps going out of that invisible frame or it is too small. And this happens even playing with P&C and Text Position... It's a bit difficoult to understand how it works.

By the way: does the level of the trace change something? I saw that the same text, if placed on "Track 3" and on "Track 5" gets smaller, for example.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast