Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TwoDaystoAlaska- 47 Ronin (Tearduct)

1. Default Unavailable link

Link has been taken down
    Last edited by TwoDaystoAlaska; 10-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Blog Entries

I thought some of the images were fascinating, and some very clever.
    Unfortunately I found the music extremely irritating - a motif repeated ad infinitum just grates after a while, no matter what you layer on top of it - so much so that I couldn't watch it a second time.
    It's a shame you say it's the musi that counts as the video has more potential - for this vieewer anyway.
    Sorry
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks for the feedback, it's fine that you didn't like the music, it's not for everyone's taste i understand. It's loop-based like a lot of hip-hop music out there
    Just out of curiousity though, what sort/genre of music would you have preferred?

Are these stock footage or did you shoot the video. The music is not my cup of tea, The fact that I used the phrase "not my cup of tea" should tell you why. Lets just say I prefer guitar based music.

5. Default

These were stock footage, which I edited and arranged to fit the music. Like I said, it's not to everyone's taste.

Blog Entries

If I may interject. TwoDaystoAlaska - you have inferred something which Paulears has not said or implied and it has clearly riled you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoDaystoAlaska View Post
    My main gripe was that you completely disregarded this as ever being a piece of music,
    Paulears never suggested this. He expressed his own opinion. " In fact, I find it difficult to accept as 'music' in any normal understanding of the word."
    Note the use of the "I". Nowhere does he say that nobody could consider it music.

I don't consider some of Tracey Emin's work "art". That doesn't mean I don't accept other people do consider it art and ergo it is art.

with a real lack of respect. i.e. comparing this to Musique Concrete.
    Surely some irony!
    Here you are now dismissing Musique Concrete in exactly the same manner you are accusing Paulears of dismissing your work!

Paullears has already made the point that by giving his reasons for not likeing the music you at least have an understanding of some of the reasons that some people might not like it. I fail to see why you reacted so differently to Paulears' initial comments to my own where you were quite happy to accept my own reasons for not liking it.

But this is a video forum and to get back to your question to me: what music would I have preferred - this seemed a very strange question. The video was designed to accompany the music, was it not? Making the sort of music I prefer somewhat irrelevant!
    Last edited by TimStannard; 05-08-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typos
    Tim

7. Default

@Tim Maybe that's taken out of context a bit. His point was that Musique Concrete isn't music. Therefore making the comparison with the song. It wasn't me that inferred Musique Concrete wasn't music.
    With regards to my strange question, I was merely trying to gauge what kind of audience I was reaching.

Also, a lot of his first comment wasn't "opinion", he was stating fact: that the pitch was out, and the rhythm was out (which we have now put down to the changes in patterns etc), which they weren't.

My problem with the Musique Concrete example was that they sound nothing alike. They don't have the same elements. Is it in 4/4? Are there a set of chords? is there a tempo?

8. Default

I honestly didn't notice it the first time I played it. But when I was looking for it, then I noticed what you were saying about your track yes, but only with you mentioning it. But the drumming didn't annoy me to be honest. I think once you start thinking about the rules, then it becomes formulaic and a bit boring, no? Having said that structure/rhythm is still a vital part, and I now understand where you are coming from.
    I think a lot of people come up with similar sounding tracks to the one which you posted. But a lot of artists these days have moved away from that foot-tapping "rule", I definately didn't regard it as a risky thing.
    Kudos on making money from it.
    I will however bear in mind these lessons when writing something in the future. Thank you.

9. Default

You make a good point of course, but the counter-argument might be that maybe non-standard time signatures are hard to dance to because we're not used to it. A bit like learning a new instrument, it takes some getting used to. If I was trying to make some music for people to dance to in our culture, I would of course try take out as many jars and stutters as possible, and make the music with as little rhythmic variations as possible.
    I also think that people experience music in vastly different ways. Foot-tapping being one of them! And you've obviously learnt the rules and technicalities of music over your lifetime, but my initial experiences with music haven't been whether the drums have been tight, but how the piece made me feel. And I think that's what I've tried to strive for in this piece. I will definately consider removing this barriers if/when I sell this, but for the moment there is no point, because I cannot change the audio on the video! (Youtube won't let people over-ride the music)

Blog Entries

The music is what counts
    I really liked the music - I have plenty of tracks with a similar style; anytime I've used these for a video, and posted here, I get a similar reaction . The video provided a nice visual backdrop.

Is the music available to download?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast