Thread: Audio Problems, Any help out there??

Default Audio Problems, Any help out there??

Hi guys,
    I've just been shooting a pilot for a sitcom and I'm editing it now but I got a couple of audio files that don't sound great and I need to fix them, but I'm not too hot with audio editing software so I was hoping someone out there could talk me through some work arounds. I've attached the problem files. The first one has an annoying high pitch noise running all the way through it, I need to find a way of removing it, the other 2 just came out very quiet so I need to increase the volume a bit, which I can do but I then have the problem with a hiss in the background when I increase the volume which I need to remove. I have access to Adobe Soundbooth and Apple Soundtrack Pro. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

These sound exactly like the sort of issues that Isotope RX will sort out for you. I know Grazie, of this and other parishes, swears by it. A fellow amateur friend of mine made the mistake of downloading the trial and, after trying it out, immediately shelled out his hard-owned on a copy. There's a save disabled trial version. No harm in trying, is there?
    iZotope RX - Complete Audio Restoration: Declipping, Declicker, Hum Removal, Denoiser, Spectral Repair, Restore, Remaster, Download
    Tim

Cheers for the info Tim, I've checked it out and it seems to do the trick, but I'm guessing I can probably do these things on the High end audio editing software I already have and paid for rather than paying for more software.

I have just had a bit of a mess around in Cubase SX3.0 with the 3 files. The quiet ones you can normalise to around -6db, and then use the eq to remove the hiss around the mid 1 to 2Khz frequency. The eq will work the same for the high pitched squealing noise.

I set the band width on the eq very fine, targeted the annoying frequencey, and removed it with very little quality loss to the rest of the audio. You can do this in Soundbooth.

If you are gonna be audio editing in the likes of sitcoms etc, I would recommend you get hold of some pro audio software. Im gonna be upgrading to pro tools in the next few weeks so i can edit the audio to suit the video, and then import the edited audio back in to Premiere. Soundbooth isnt bad, but it does have its limitations.

Cheers SASMAN, I'm no sound editor or designer by any stretch, this is just a pilot that we want to use to pitch the idea, if it was for broadcast purposes I would pass it on to someone who knew what they were doing with some better software like Pro Tools.

One simple and quick method is to use the "noise reduction" feature....
    In "noise reduction", take a sample of the sound track where there is the noise but no voice.
    Select the whole track and apply the noise reduction filter, this should remove most if not all the sample frequencies from the track.

I have used this method many times with singers/music tracks.
    My sound editing software is Adobe Audition.

Cakewalks Sonar Producer is great for that too
    http://www.soundzshop.com
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

http://www.soundclick.com/solway