Thread: How to do this audio

Smile How to do this audio

hi, i joined this forums for future video helping so im new to this xD

so im planing to make a pokemon song parady like this:

and i would like to know how do you do that chorus sound effect at 0:38 in into the video. (the green shirt guy when he says "pokemon..etc")

because my parody will say something else in substitute for "pokemon"

sound editing software isnt a problem for me to aquire and i have been a VIDEO composer for over 3 years, im quite good with sonyvegas 8.0~10.0 and i know the basics of Adobe After effects. however this audio thing is new to me.
    so can anyone help? thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

It's just a number of people singing, possibly overdubbed a few times. It won't sound convincing if you just use your own voice and overdub it several times. You need different voices to get the right "Blend"
    Don't go over the top with the overdubs though. There comes a point where it starts to sound "mushy".
    Tim

I think the other thing about it is it's position in the stereo field is very wide left and right as opposed to the main singer being central.

I think a basic 'chorus effect' is commonly found in audio editing software. Ideally, it uses the original audio and then mixes it with automatically created versions which vary in timing and pitch and tone ('timbre'). As with any group of singers, they may not sing precisely in time or precisely the correct note, and these differences don't remain constant because sometimes they sing in tune at the correct times. For poor singers (like myself) a 'chorus' saves me making multiple audio recordings. And, as MB pointed out, having a wide stereo field can be very dramatic.
    However, as TimS pointed out, a real group of singers have different sized necks, vocal cords and mouths. Those factors remain constant. So, a single voice, into a 'chorus effect' won't sound as convincing as having different voices.

oh cool thanks, i see...so should i get individuals and stack them up into one audio while syncing the words or do it in a group? (harder to plan)
    and what program do you guys recommend for this "chorus effect" because i want to experiment with this program.

Blog Entries

Any audio or vuideo software which allows more than one track of audio will let you do this:
    Record person A on track 1. Play back track 1 through headphones whilst recording person B on track 2.
    If you've run out of tracks, output an audio fils of the two voices, then use that as the new track 1. Play that back through headhones whilst recording the new track 2. etc

Obviously this is easier if yiu have more tracks.

Even easier is just to get a whole bunch of people singing. Job done.

What I did for my Xmas video (where I had various members of my family singing the chorus) was a mixture.
    I had a group of three or four people on track 1, a group of three or four different people on track 2 and yet more people on track 4.
    I supplemented this with my father on another track (his voice stands out too much and so needs to be kept down in the mix - unless I want to feature him), a sister, nephew and neice doing different harmonies on two different tracks and myself copying these harmonies on different tracks.

This gave me enormous flexibility in mixing the sounds between those who sang rather poorly, those who sang raucously (the effect i was mainly after) and those who sang rather too perfectly, as well as balance the harmonies in a way that satisfied my ears. It was here that I discovbered you can have too much, and if you want a small crowd effect, it's best to make sure a couple of voices stand out more than others and perhaps don't have too many voices mixed in there. I drpped a few (different ones in different choruses for what it's worth).
    Tim

The backing singer is singing twice using a very broad pan the effect is hightened by one of the tracks being sung an octave higher also.
    http://www.soundzshop.com
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

http://www.soundclick.com/solway