Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to reinstall - Will I lose projects?

Default Need to reinstall - Will I lose projects?

Hi people,

So I've been having lots of problems with Sony Vegas Studio 10 recently and I've decided that I need to reinstall it.

If I keep my project files in a separate folder so they're not deleted, and if I keep my source footage in the same folders, will I be able to open my projects and just continue to work on them as if I had not reinstalled?

I'm asking because I'm trying to avoid having to re-do absolutely everything. My movie is finished, Sony just crashes everytime I want to render. Anyways, any help is much appreciated thanks!

No, you won't lose it.

AND yes, you will be able to just continue to edit if you keep the source files in the same folders.

Very good news, thanks a lot guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ManyAk View Post
    .... Sony just crashes everytime I want to render. Anyways, any help is much appreciated thanks!
    Be prepared for it to continue to crash after reinstall. The one thing you haven't established is WHY is it crashing now? Which begs the queetion,WHAT are you rendering IN WHAT FORMAT and as rendering is THE most CPU intensive function you'll do WHAT is the condition of your hard drives and system.

The clue fir me is that as you ae asking if you'll loose your project files if you reinstall indicates a concern that would be unnecessary to ask. MS WORD doc files don't get erased, nor would any other s/w worth it's salt.

So, before you attempt a reinstall you should really take this opportunity, for that's what it is, to thoroughly analyse just what maybe forcing Vegas to crash on render. The usual suspects are:-

Over-filled hard drives especially your system
    Expectations that Vegas will render any amount of size of format
    Rendering to a format that your PC grunt isn't up to.

There are other issues to test too, but that should get you going.

If your reinstall works, then good for you. All I'm saying is be prepared for it not and that at present you have an opportunity to understand more about rendering than you realise and you're not getting the best use of Vegas. It's a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg!!

Thanks for replying Grazie, I appreciate the motivation you try to inspire.
    But it's just that I've been having issues with Vegas for sooo long now that I don't know where to go anymore. I mean, I've always done my editing work the same way, and at the beginning everything was smooth but after a little while the software just refuses to operate.

If you can help me in any sort of way, thanks to you sir.

My source footage is 1920x1080 and 23.976fps. I tweak them a bit in After Effects and render them out for import in Vegas. The resolution of the clips remains the same. I should add that in AE, I render with the Avid DNxHD codec (same fps, RGB levels and compressed) with the resolution set to 1080p/23.976 DNxHD 175 8-bit. And the format of the video files is Quicktime movie.

The proprieties of my projects in Vegas are the same as my source footage. I try to render using MPEG-1 (.mpg) with the same resolution and fps, but I either get an error message saying that my system is low on memory that by closing other applications I can reduce my memory, OR the software simply just crashes and then I can either report the incident or not. And the funny thing like I've said is that when I first started editing this movie everything was working fine! Then out of the blue just like that I can't render anymore, which makes it very difficult to finish the film as you can imagine.

And finally here's my CPU checkup :
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU
    750 @ 2.67GHz
    6G of RAM
    Windows 7.

ALL the files I need to edit my film are on a separate HD of 1TB, while Vegas in installed on my CPU.

So there's my story. I've been fighting with Vegas for many months now, but to no avail. I am seriously thinking about using another software next time, because you can't really get any real work done when you spend 90% of your time fixing crash issues.

So if you have ANY advices to give to someone like me, I'm all ears. Thanks a lot in any case.
    (if I've missed out any info, please let me know)

Something amongst all that, is your wish to render a high format/resolution to MPEG1.... why? Have you always done this to MPEG1?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Something amongst all that, is your wish to render a high format/resolution to MPEG1.... why? Have you always done this to MPEG1?

To be honest, I use that one only because I've been told it's the most convenient format and also because the file size is really low. I mean I can't have 1 scene out of 10 be 40G, I need to put that on a DVD afterwards.

Is there any other format you suggest I export to? I mean, what would you render to if you planned to have the final result be on a TV?

If you are making a DVD the final format should be mpeg2 as that is what your DVD burner will create.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If you are making a DVD the final format should be mpeg2 as that is what your DVD burner will create.
    Ok well I just tried rendering a scene using MPEG-2 but Vegas still says I need more memory. I seriously doubt my CPU is not capable of rendering a 3minutes scene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast