Thread: Newbie needs help :-)

Smile Newbie needs help :-)

Hi,

I am completely new to the world of video editing and am in desperate need of some help.

I have recently taken up the role of recording my teams rugby matches due to a career ending injury.

I have purchased a Sony Bloggie MHS-CM5 and have been getting some great results for my first time.

My problem is that when i come to burn them onto a dvd i cant find a software that suits my needs for the HD video which is in MP4 format.

All i want to do is burn these straight to dvd with no editing (YET)

I started to use dvd flick which gave me good results but i came across the problem of reaching the maximum title number.

The obvious fix would be to make longer videos but i dont want the breakdown footage.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Harry

I'm not sure what software you using, but I'm guessing the problem is that you cannot burn Mpeg 4 format to DVD, You could try downloading a conversion software like Mpeg Streamclip which will downconvert your footage to Mpeg 2 which will happily go onto DVD, it should also reduce the file size of your footage to fit onto a DVD.

Thanks for the fast reply. i just had a quick play with the software, it would be good apart from the fact i have to do each video separately and they seem to take aaages, plus ive got 50 1920x1030 30p videos to convert.

Any other advice?

I'm afraid that's the nature of HD video, everything takes ages! You can do a batch convert and just leave it over night, that's what I do.

5. Default

Let make some points straight. You shoot in 1080p with is full HD and you want put it on DVD which is inherently SD. Are you trying to create a DVD with digital video on it, that can be watched in computer, or alternatively, your intention is to create a DVD that can be watched in a regular player? They both are easily achievable, but I have to understand which one you are trying to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by videodirector View Post
    Let make some points straight. You shoot in 1080p with is full HD and you want put it on DVD which is inherently SD. Are you trying to create a DVD with digital video on it, that can be watched in computer, or alternatively, your intention is to create a DVD that can be watched in a regular player? They both are easily achievable, but I have to understand which one you are trying to accomplish.
    Oh yeh sorry I should have said, I am wanting to burn a DVD that plays on a DVD/blue ray player.

Which one? if you want to burn to a DVD, it has to be converted to MPeg 2 and it will be SD, if you want to burn to Blu Ray, you're going to need a Blu Ray Burner and it will have to be converted to H.264 codec which will be HD.

8. Default

ok, so why not to load this video simply into "windows dvd maker" if you don't want editing and burn the DVD? What is seems to be a problem doing that? have tried it?

I want to burn onto a standard DVD. I have tried windows movie maker with the k-lite codec pack but when i came to burn using DVD maker it would not work. Am I using DVD maker wrong?
    Is there nothing like DVD flick but without a title limit?
    Because DVDflick doesnt lose any of the hd quality and doesnt need to convert?
    Last edited by balsam; 04-28-2011 at 02:02 PM.